McIntosh - is it that great?

I'm just curious if McIntosh gear is all that great. How does their older power amps compare to new products from other high end manufactures? Are there any products I should stay away from. I like the idea of owning vintage McIntosh stuff. Most of their stuff seems pricy. Is it because it's that good or do people just like to collect their products. thanks for you opinions--Matt
mattman
I don't know, but I just bought a MC2102 here on Audiogon and I'll find out how good it is as soon as it gets here. I plan to bi-amp w/the MC2102 for the mid/high and 2 channels of my B&K ref 7250 for the bottom end. One thing's for sure, they sure hold their value because the one I bought wasn't cheap.
I've also recently purchased my first piece of Mac gear - a MC2102 tube amp. I'm using it to drive my Watt puppy 6.0's and I have to say it sounds just fabulous - open, airy and inviting. It replaced a BAT VK-60, which I still have, and a CJ 11A (which I'm using in a second system -
I can't seem to part with anything).

I'm not looking to upgrade anytime soon, but when I do it will probably be with a second 2102 - I love it!

The best American built are B-52 bomber, F-117 fighter, M-16 rifle, M1A2 tank and McIntosh Amplifier. I will pick McIntosh among all. Peace America!
Have a Mac 230, 1700 and 275. Worth more now than I paid for them.
The MA230 is over 35 years old. Just had it recapped and sounds great.
Mac used to be a the pinnacle of the price chart. Now you are able to buy half the product at 10 times the price.
Still pine over my Pair of Mac 240s hooked to my Marantz 7C.
Another vote for 402. I've actually heard 452 that is slightly more powerful, but what I heard isn't solid state or tube performance. It's just a Mac that is capable to show how it can sound to take the best from both worlds.
Their preamps are almost all full function with number of features outnumbering any conventional audio preamplifier sold on the market today.
The component price for vintage equipment is growing and not going down.