Gilmore Audio planars revealed

The Gilmore Audio speaker have finally been photographed for the world to see: Gilmore Audio

Disclaimer - I'm a dealer for the Gilmores, though at this point I'm still awaiting my first pair, as they haven't begun shipping yet.

The Gilmores push the edge of the envelope for planar technology in several areas. Innovations include an extremely thin (3 mil) Kapton diaphragm; bass extension to below 20 Hz; easy 8-ohm load combined with 92 dB efficiency (you can drive 'em with Atma-Sphere M-60's!); and maximum output level in the mid to upper 120's.

Designer Mark Gilmore is the webmaster of the Atma-Sphere Owner's Group website, as well as of the Sound Lab Owner's Group site. He's been around for a while, but this is his first commercial loudspeaker design (to the best of my knowledge).

I haven't heard 'em yet so can't comment on the sound (I know, that's all that really matters after all). I'm expecting a pair before the end of the year, and will post comments then.

Duke
audiokinesis
I believe people have a healthy skepticism of a very expensive new speaker that makes rather outlandish claims yet appears to be no more than rehash of the Carver and a number of other ribbon/dynamic hybrids.

The manufacturer's dealers have posted on a number of sites touting these speakers, which makes them fair game for comment.

I suspect they sound very good, but wish they would go easy on the pseudo-science, cheap thrills advertising and exagerration.
I don't purport to be a scientist - or even technical for that matter - but I have a question about the claimed 127db output claim.

According to what I've heard people say on this site, for every 3db increase in output, it takes approximately double the amplification (wattage).

If this is correct, even with the claimed 92db efficiency, it would require approximately 2000 watts per channel at 8ohms to achieve 127db.

If this is peak, maybe I could see it...maybe. But 127db continuous output across the rated frequency response seems a bit unlikely.

Besides, wouldn't 127db result in hearing damage?

As for Sellerwithintegrity's request that you bring your SPL meter to CES - If you attempt to achieve 127db with innocent bystanders anywhere remotely close to your booth, be prepared for the impending lawsuits and negative public sentiment that will surely lead to the company's early demise.

Achieving 127db just for the sake of doing it reminds me of the old joke about why a dog licks his b@##s.

What's the point?
I agree with Seadogs1. This is a classy and respectful site where we all share common ground with respect for our love of music and high-end audio reproduction. It's fine to inquire about new technology and ask probing questions about manufacturer's claims, but let's do it in a way that encourages people to share their ideas not inhibit them. The last thing we want or need is to roast people like they do on Audio Asylum.

Cheers,
DB