Bose 901

Hi folks, what is your opinion about the Bose 901? Can it competes with the high end speakers which are frequently mentioned here, like Wilson, Thiel, Revel, B&W, etc.? Please try to be objective and try not to be driven by some prejudice towards the marque.
dazzdax
I heard a demo of the 901 system when I was near Boston in the summer - hats off to the guys from Bose who really know how to make their stuff sound good in their demo rooms. I wanted to see how they demonstrated the product and how they had set up their room - it was very impressive indeed.

That said, there was a lot of information missing and no, it won't compete with the original brands mentioned. **Provided they are set up at least half as well as the buys from Bose do it**

Obviously if you buy the 901 and take it home to set up in your living room on your own, things may be very different.
Stevecham...Not true. Closely spaced drivers behave like one big driver except at very close range. The best example is the line array configuration, which may include a dozen drivers.
If you want to hear music in your home in lieu of a brand of speaker, one needs to think about this in speaker selection. It is a question more profound than one might imagine. I listen to all kinds of live music from Ravi Shankar to Michael Burks' Blues. That's the point isn't it, to attempt to replicate live music in ones home? ALL speakers sound different in your home than they do in the showroom - Duh! The 901's work for me because I don't "hear" the speaker. I want to hear the music I hear at live performances. The 901's cover the spectrum of all types of music the best that I have yet to come across in my 30 years of critical listening. Good luck and don't cave to your ego or peer pressure. Go to live performances, close your eyes and concentrate on the sounds you hear. Then go to as may audio stores as you can and do the same thing while listening to various speakers. It would help if you have a recording of your most recent outing, and a live recording would be better yet. Mike