Q. on shootout between time/phase coherent speaker

All

I have a couple of questions

1. What are folks opinions of strenghts/weakness (characteristics) of the famous time/phase coherent speaker lines out there (Thiel, Vandy, GMA, Meadowlark, etc etc)

2. Esp in the under $2k range.

3. Have folks backed up their impression with any scientific (measurements, and/or double blind).

I have Vandersteen 2Ce's in a HT system with Arcam AVR amplification (choose Vandy's as they have complete system and price wise a good choice)

Shriram
shriramosu
I echo what Arthur has said. Phase/Time coherent speakers are typically tricky to set up. Minute adjustments can yield dramatic results. It can be maddening, but once dialed in they reproduce a clarity hard to ignore. In addition, P/T speakers are typically hard to drive. Due to their crossover demands P/T speakers typically demand high power amplifiers. Only Very large Tube amps or high powered SS designs will drive these speakers optimally.
This is an old thread, but that is nonsense. 1st-order crossovers are the simplest and such speakers can be made *very* easy to drive - GMA's sure are.
If 1st Order xovers are easy to drive why are Thiel and Vandersteen not easy to drive. They are both fairly inefficient with dips in impedance down to 4ohms or less - not the defintion of easy to drive. I'm no engineer, so I don't know anything about the design parameters - theoretical or implemented, both these two manafactuers make good speakers, but easy to drive is not one of their attributes. GMA, may be a different thing altogether, but I'm not familar with them.
My Reference 3A Dulcet mini-monitors are time and phase aligned. The only cross-over in them is one capacitor. They are very efficient and my 70W VAC monoblocks drive them to very realistic volumes.

http://iar-80.com/page65.html

Amp/speaker matching is very critical in achieving good sound. There are a lot of threads on time and phase in speaker alignment. Do a search for more info.