Single Driver Horn vs Multi driver efficient spker

I have delved into SET and have gone for multi driver speakers to single driver full range. They are OK, but lacking dynamics and punch. I have been told that GOOD(expensive) horns would do the trick, but I wonder if I should go back to an efficient Multi driver speaker, i.e. Coincident Total Victory. I know that SET and lots of drivers and crossovers are not the best, but I not over whelmed with the Single driver thing. I would appreciate your thoughts.
Thanks
Mike
128x128brm1
Hey Oz..I probably don't look old enough to have a daughter in highschool either.LOL..But I do.
Hell... I'm in the weight room or running in the park 6 days a week.:-)
My work out partner is a 50 yr old retired Marine.He can still run a mile in 5 1/2 minutes!
The FTA-2000s are here to stay.
Fostex f200a is a wonderful full range you should hear it in a larger TL without corective network.If you would want better sound add a raven r1 ribbon tweeter. I built a pair like this for a friend 5 years ago.System sounds wonderful makes me want to build a pair for myself.Iam using my f200a in a azura front horn with t900a and dual eminance 18in woofers in giant back horn system is amazingly good.Thinking of trying f200a in front- back horn cabinet next.For years I was importing 60% of the f200a brought into the states sounds like alot but it wasent realy that many ,no one was using this driver, fostex was going to drop this fine driver but I bought up a bunch and they resumed production.Glad someone made a production loudspeaker using f200a.I have built 25 pairs of f200a based loudspeak many dif cabinet designs.Its a great under rated driver.
Kloss I have followed your threads for sometime now.
You have to be one of the for most experts in this type of speaker.Especially the F200A driver. Thanks for helping to keep them around! I took a close look at this driver out side of the cabinet. I haven't seen a better built driver personally. Man these drivers are MONSTERS!From all the fullrange or almost fullrange drivers I researched. The F200a seems to be the best bargain in high end, when it comes to a true fullrange single driver.

You mention the Raven r1 ribbon tweeter. What value capacitor would I use as a filter if I decide to try them? To bad I'm not closer, I would love too hear those monster horns!

It's a shame more haven't discovered these drivers and how good they really are.
Some get caught up in the glam and glitz ..That seems to be the only thing about this hobby I don't care for.Most spend too much time looking for a particular name than just listening to different products..whether well known or not. Many miss the boat looking for the big name in lights.
Hi Gmood,

Are you using Martin King's Brines Acoustics FTA-2000 speakers or your own design? I've heard really great things about them.

When it comes to single-drivers, there is always a tradeoff - highs & lows for great mids, highs & mids for great lows, lows for great highs & mids. No driver does it all.

I suspect that Fostex offers a driver for each possible emphasis (and even more I haven't thought of). The 6.5" FE 168 Sigmas used in my Bens definetly trade bass punch for great mids/highs. They do 40Hz, but without punch, no matter how large the cabinet gets. Of course, I wouldn't expect a six incher to thump my chest.

The Hammer Dynamics Super-12 twelve inch driver trades high frequencies and absolute fine detail for great mids and lows. It has 40Hz punch when combined with it's 70 litre cabinet. The supertweeter is crossed in at 10kHz.

The Hammers have nowhere near the fine detail, articulation, or imaging of the C&C's, but do have terrific tonality. Far beyond their cost. Dynamics are a tough comparison. Once again, Fostex wins, but the Hamms are no slouch.

I just need to dial in some punch and I'm set for life.