putting speaker vertical or horizontal?

I have a NHT M6 speaker. Any difference in sound by putting speaker vertical or horizontal ?
cip57
I remember I had a pair of AR-12's, and they even had the logo on a post on the front, so you could swivel it for horizontal operation. I tried it once. Just once. They sounded awful.
YMMV.
John
I'm with Pabelson on this one.

The M6 should be better vertical. Try them both ways and see if you can tell the difference.
The usual explanations involving dispersion characteristics don't explain why vertical souns better even when you are listening straight on to the speaker. Here is another theory...

In the typical speaker the Woofer and Tweeter are lined up vertically (when the speaker is vertical) so that the phase relationship between drivers, while it may be imperfect, is the same for your left and right ears (assuming your ears are mounted on the sides of your head). If the speaker is horizontal, one ear is closer to the tweeter than the other ear so that the driver phasing relationship differs between ears, and the brain doesn't like this. So the vertical speaker orientation sounds better. All this assumes that you are sitting up. If you lie down on your side a horizontal speaker might sound better.

This theory would suggest that a MTM driver configuration (a woofer above and another below the tweeter) ought to sound OK when horizontal (neglecting dispersion issues). I do find this to be the case.