Thiel 3.7

Once again Mr. Thiel demonstrates that he is not one to rest on his laurels. The unique drivers, cabinet design, and 90 db sensitivity are very intriguing.
unsound
Zaikesman, I really do miss your contributions! Thank you for providing me with a clearer undertanding of how your multidome might work. Jim Thiel did something like this years ago when he reversed the driver to baffle relationship (e.g. CS 2 vs. CS 3.5). You provide and intersting perspective on the 2 way vs. 3 way marketing. I suppose one could argue that different frequencies are being provided by differernt drivers that just happen to share a voice coil. As for me, it really doesn't matter much one way or the other. I think it interesting that Thiel can accomplish this resonace control from the "midrange" driver through the treble region because they are one and the same. I suppose your right, in that the "tweeter" segment may show control even further out. Yes, I think we were talking about different perspectives regarding baffles. I do see your point. From what I understand Thiel suffered from expensive failure in their attempts at cast baffles during shipping. I guess its hard to heal from such a burn. Perhaps he'll develop one using aluminum? We have often shared ideas independently developed. I too have desired some sort of soft baffle covering for some time now. The only other reason I can think of for placing the woofers so low would be to lower the center of gravity for better balance. I too was surprised by the omni concept considering Thiels consistent stance on radiation principles. Perhaps now that Thiel designs and manufactures all of his own drivers, he may feel free to pursue this with better footing? Jim Thiel despite his reputation for specific types of speakers, really has ventured in different directions. Thiel has used various ports, sealed boxes, equalizers, passive radiators, TMW arrays, MTM arrays, passive cross-overs, active cross-overs, mulit-drivers w/ different ranges, single voice coil mutli drivers, self powered speakers, etc.. Why not an omni? Omni's migt be especially attractive to the home theatre crowd.
Zaikesman,
I enjoyed reading and learning from your posts. Very informative and your point is stated clearly. Thanks.
Hey! What happened to the old Shari?? This can't be good...

Looking closely at the photos on the website, I don't think the new compound driver uses the shared voice-coil design. It seems to have two adjacent inner suspension gaskets, one for the tweeter dome and another for the midrange diaphragm.

(Also, I'm thinking that passive radiator looks as if it's going to be a sore point for survivability problems with kids/dogs/vacuum-cleaners unless they provide some sort of screen for it behind the grille...)
Shari's husband was tranferred and they had to move, not too far but far enough to make for an unpleasant commute. That's the official story, anyway. She has gone to work for our own Larry Staples at LSA/DK Design.