Conrad Johnson Loudspeakers-Synthesis.

Prior to my current speakers, the only speaker that I'd ever heard that projected an image OUTSIDE the lateral confines of the speaker were Conrad Johnson Synthesis 2 ways, where the cymbals (as I recall) of a musical piece seemed to shoot up and out, and emanate from both corners of the room. To this day I don't know whether it was due to reflections off the walls or truly great imaging, but it was cool either way. I became fascinated with the Synthesis line by Conrad Johnson and the four tower Reference System as well. It retailed at $8000 way back around the late 1980's. I never even got to hear it, but was always intrigued.

The point: I'm wondering whether any other members have heard or owned the Synthesis Reference four tower system. If so, what do (or did) you think?

-Bill
Footnote: The topic is timely because a Conrad Johnson Synthesis Reference four tower system is being auctioned by someone right here on Audiogon. This is the first such system I can remember EVER seeing offered for sale ANYWHERE after all these years. And the starting price is cheap, too.

{{{And NO, I have nothing whatsoever to do with the seller, or the auction, etc.}}}
mdhoover
I think I heard them at Excaliber in Alexandria, VA. Conrad Johnson's factory was in spitting distance. I think it was the four box system. I was intrigued because you were able to put each box in its optimum room position.(a la wilson wamm daves only real speaker) In a one box speaker if you find the right spot for the woofer it's the wrong spot for the tweeter.
I hesrd them at Sound inc, in NJ. I was very impressed, but the sub modules were the size of a small refrigerator. I tried to buy just the satellites but they would not brake up the set. I also owned a piar of LM200's and LM310's. I really liked both of them and was sorry to part with them but the upgrade bug bit.
Got a pair of LM200's still on duty in our TV room. Very nice speakers, if not the last word in anything in particular.

Randy
I have heard the same sound projected past and above the speakers with all C-J electronics and Synthesis LM250 or 300's. I still own a pair of Synthesis LM20 monitor speakers. They still sound great! I have a post in the wanted looking for LM200/210/250's. Norfish do you want to sell yours? I'm just looking for a set of floor standing Synthesis. Thanks and good luck!

Frosty1