Help a newbie on an entry two-channel system

Greetings! This is my first post and I very much appreciate any suggestions you can offer for assembling an entry level system for a budget of $2,000 - $2,500.

I listen exclusively to classical music (i.e. from J.S. Bach's cello suites to Scriabin's piano sonatas). Genres include piano, violin, chamber, and orchestral works, in that order of preference. I do not touch opera.

My music collection is mostly CD's, SACD's and DVD-A's, including quite a bit of mono/historical and/or live performances. Tape hiss and other backgroud noise do not bother me that much. I hope with this system I may have a chance to enjoy better reproduction of tone colors of piano/violin solo, and modest sound stage reproduction of chamber/orchestra works.

I currently have a 10-year old stereo system consisting of a Denon single disk CD player, a Denon receiver (40 wpc) and a pair of RA Labs bookself speakers (roughly $600 retail). I also listen to music on my desktop PC using a Sennheiser PX200 headset.

I intend to set up this systme in a room of about 14ft by 10ft, with an 8.5 ft ceiling and carpeted floor, and without much clutter.

I am thinking of three major components (all used of course): a. a single disc stereo CD player (forget about SACD source for the time being), b. a solid state integrated amplifier, and c. a pair of monitors on stands.

What do you say?
etalon0
The most important thing. Use your own ears and judgement. Get out there and listen to everything you can. Do not get stuck in "analysis paralysis", as it is so easy to do with all of the information that is now available online.

With manufacturers who sell direct (and have no showroom), ask to demo the gear first. Most of these guys make really fantastic equipment for the money, and most offer a 30-day money back guarantee. Take advantage of it.

Last, remember why you are doing this. Not to impress or win the approval of forum members and friends. But for your own enjoyment.

Cheers!
About 2 years ago I ventured into the TUBE fray with a purchase of a inexpensive amp from Dared. This was a SE tube amp using Pentode tubes. I had all SS equipment before with a medium priced Rotel CD Player.

I listen to all sorts of music from Jazz to todays rock. I have never been so happy with my 2 channel system.

I would recommend a pair of Cain and Cain Abbys, the Onix SP3 amp and a shanling tube cd player. Total cost should be around 2500.00 if you shop around. I currently am trying out the eastern electric m 520 with the Abbys and have a modified shanling cdt-200 by parts connexion in canada.

I live in Minnesota, if your close just send me a email and you can certainly take a listen.
Dlstephenson beat me to it.
I would also recommend listening tooOmega Super 3 XRS or something similar.This way no stands needed. Also instead of the cd player go with a DAC. One that can be used with your computer if you choose, like the Scott Nixon usbtd . Just use your computer as the transport. Also this at least gives you a taste of tubes in the system. Maybe a DAC 60 ($470 shipped). It uses the same 1704 D/A chips found in the $9000 Wadia 861 disc player but uses tubes in the output.

Throw in a gain clone. Like the Audio Zone AMP 1 or a Audio Sector integrated ($995.00). With only 9 parts in the signal path..extreme transparency takes on a whole new meaning! I can assure you, your system will not sound entry level by any means.

Good luck with the hunt
Another two cents:

If you are set on a SS amp the Qinpu 1.0 integrated sounds remarkably good for its under-$700 price tag. That leaves lots left over for the best source you can afford--the Music Hall/Shanlings are my favourites, with the best (the Shanling CD-T80) being very nice indeed. Just those two components would represent a revolution in your system. I would continue listening with the old speakers while I looked for new ones, and cables.

Good luck and have fun!