Spendor S8e, Dynaudio Focus 220, VA Grand Mozart

Help! I have a new dedicated Media Room 13.5 x 14.5 with 10 ft ceilings. I'll be spliting my time between music and movies. I listen to rock, pop, acoustic and jazz (Tears for Fears, Aimee Mann, Sinead O'connor,Queen,X,The The). I have a $5000 budget for a 5.1 set up; I'm looking for some guidance taking my needs into concideration Here's my set-up:
Anthem amv-30
Anthem pv5 5x300 amp
MMF-5 turntable
Marantz DV-9600 universal disc player (SACD,DVD-A,CD, DVD)
theb2826
I agree that the hype is real. I owned a pair of Spendor S8e's, and originally ran them with a Cary V12R tube amp and Audible Illusions pre. The midrange was indeed spectacularly lush and realistic. Bass response was excellent. I listen mainly to jazz, blues and chamber, but was surprised at how well they rocked. Things got better by far, when on the strength of Sallie's review, I changed electronics to a Musical Fidelity KW500 integrated. I've had some truly spine tingling moments with that system.

There is a caveat, however. I found the S8e's to be a bit too rolled off on top for my tastes. Alot of this was remedied by going to expensive Kimber Select KS-3035 cables, a silver/copper hybrid design. Also, while lateral soundstaging was excellent, I found them somewhat lacking in depth. This may have been related to my room setup. There are always tradeoffs, however, and I could have lived quite happily with the S8e's. Ultimately, I decided to try a pair of Reynaud Trentes, knowing I could always go back to the Spendors. While not having as much body as the Spendors, I find the Trentes better suited to my needs in the areas of imaging, transparency, and high end response. Of ourse, nothing is constant but change. I'm hoping to hold on to these virtues, but recapture a bit of what I lost from the S8e's by moving up to Reynaud Offrandes.

After 25 years of the agony and the ecstacy that is this hobby, I've certainly learned that there is no best component, some tradeoff is always involved, and something better always comes along. If you just want to enjoy your music, however, I feel confident that most listeners could be very happy with the Spendors for many years to come. Good luck with your decision.
Hi Aktchi,

If you can find a vintage Klipsch LaScala with Bob Crites crossover that could do the trick or sticking with whats available today I would look into Harbeth M40, Spendor SP100, Living Voice Avatar OBX-R2 (they might have an internal crossover version of this speaker out now) or look into the JM Reynaud line like Gary suggests.*>)
I have Dynaudio Focus 140s and Focus 220s and love them both. However, although close, they do not sound the same.

Aside from the expected greater presence in the lower and mid bass, the Focus 220s surpirsingly (by my ears of course) differ more significantly in the area of the upper midrange and treble (which is more open and clear with the 220s). The Focus 140s sound a little smoother and the 220s slightly more brassy in the upper midrange, but in a good way.

In all fairness, I have not fully broken in the 220s or the 140s yet, and although some of this may smooth out a little, the crossover difference (from my understanding lower on the 220) should still produce a different sound in the 220s over the 140s. So, the 220s aside from having a bit more bass, sound more diffent in having a clearer slightly more piercing sound (but not harsh) in the upper midrange. I personally prefer the 220 slightly more in that regard over the 140s, but am hoping that the more open upper midrange softens just a little as the speakers break in.

I know from listening and using a subwoofer with both, that a good musical subwoofer (REL, MJ Acoustics - my MJ sub is great by the way), running with the 140s will sound much better than the 220s by themselves in the bass department. So if you are watching your money, the Focus 140s with a musical sub is your best bet and will actually put out more better sounding bass than a stand alone pair of Focus 220s for a combined price roughly equal to the Focus 220s. (I strongly recommend an REL or MJ Acoustics sub if quality musical bass for music rather than home theater is what you want).

However, the 220s with one of these subs sounds much better yet also than standing alone. Overall, I feel that unless you want the more open midrange with the 220s, you will be better off if money is an object, in buying the Focus 140s and adding a good musical subwoofer. I love my MJ Acoustics sub. It makes the Dyns sound like they came with smooth powerful and tight 10" woofers. It is a very very musical sub and not boomy like your typical Velodyne or for that matter Martin Logan subs. When I turn on the sub, even the 220s (which have good bass by the way) almost double in equivalent size. Its as if the lights just went on in a dark room. The music becomes rich, meaty, and full like it would be at a concert.
A little note to add to my input: After much comparison I have found I prefer the sound of the Focus 220s to the Focus 140s. They bring out more detail without sounding harsh and a direct comparison showed me that they have more weight in the lower midrange and provide it at a frequency that a subwoofer cannot begin to reach up into without becoming directional.

The 220s for me are world class and also a remarkable piece of craftsmanship and beauty. The only thing that I have heard better is the much more expensive Confidence line. I prefer the 220s to the sound of the Contour series by a wide margin. The midrange and lower midrange simply has more texture and body for me.
My two cents.

I really like all three of these speakers.

You mentioned the Totem Forest too, and that is also one of my favorites.

Totem Forest: Great bass for moderately sized two way speaker. Terrific spatial images. Can be a little splashy in the treble. Beautiful understated cabinets.

Spender S8e: As stated above, midrange to die for and other good stuff too. Cabinets a little on the "boxy" side compared to these others.

VA Grand Mozart: with the right electronics (e.g. Primare) smooth and musical performance. These are such good all around speakers I am surprised they aren't talked about more often on here - perhaps too laid back for some, balance is not always perceived as a virture.

Dynaudio Focus 220: Detailed, punchy when need be, neutral, throws good images, furniture grade cabinets. The best all around performer in this bunch I think. Stiff drivers take several Congressional terms to loosen up.