Avantgarde Trios, SETs, and Impedance Curves

Has anyone ever seen an actual impedance curve plot for the Avantgarde Trios? I am about to acquire a 3 year old pair and need to find a great amp to drive them. I suppose conventional wisdom would be to use an SET of some kind. However, to perform their best, SETs really require a relatively flat impedance curve. So, I guess what I'd like to know is how badly does the Trio impedance fluctuate with frequency, and/or, empirically, what amps have Trio owners used that have rendered awesome performance?

How about it, Trio owners, any advice for a new Trio guy? Any feedback would me most appreciated!

Dean
theloveman
The problem is that really low output impedance amplifiers don't sound right on highly reactive/high efficiency speakers (like most horns). There are interactions that result in shrillness. So a tube amp is indicated...
I was using my Trios with Audio Note Kageki (really beatiful combination) then with EAR 834T, not as smooth as the Kageki, but no shrill and dynamic like hell then I am using an Altmann BYOB amp with the Trio and my REL Stentor II sub. The most musical combination I have ever heard, period. The battery driven Altmann amp is perfectly quiet absolutely no noise through the speakers at all, which makes all kind of music detailed, rythmic, smooth and flowing, quiteness is an important aspect when the speaker sensitivity is above 108 dB/W/m.
I guess I should check in here more often. I thought my thread was done in September. Thanks to all of you have responded here in November with some really helpful information and suggestions.

Ferenc, your comment on the Altmann amp is truly interesting. You're the first person I've seen report using the Altmann, and that you like it with the Trio tells me you are a man who listens and doesn't give one whit about the cosmetics of your amplification devices. I am also curious about your use of the REL Stentor II sub. I assume you have replaced the AG woofers, is that correct? Are you using one or two RELs? If so, at what frequency are you crossing into the REL? I didn't think the REL was able to go up high enough in frequency to mate with the Trio's lower mid horn.

711 smilin, the Mactone sounds very interesting as well, but given the inability to audition one with the Trios along with their cost, it probably isn't going to happen.

Atmasphere, it seems to me that you are saying that neither SETs nor solid state amps work properly with the AG Trios due to the Capacitors in the crossovers. Don't most speakers with crossovers use capacitors? Your comments seem to conflict with all the results of others who report very fine results with SETs and now Ferenc stating he is getting fabulous results with the Altmann amp, which to my knowledge (correct me if I am wrong) doesn't use any feedback just like most of the SETs that others have found favor with. Yet you claim that an amplifier with feedback is required in order to achieve proper results. It does make one wonder.
I think Atmasphere is saying that some SET's have trouble with the tweeters crossover. My 845 amps sound very extended on top. They are very powerfull for SET's though. I have heard from others that 300b amps have no problem also. Wavelength recommended to me there 300b Cardinal over their lower powered amps for trios. I will be trying a Wavac 300b next week and will give my comments later. It sounds like some of the flee powered SET's might have problems with trios. Many people use them though, so they should be auditioned first.
Steve.
I would like to add one more thing that I forgot. I talked to Jim Smith last week on the phone. He no longer represents Avantgarde, but still answers the phone and gave me his opinion on amplifiers for Trios. I hope you don't mind me quoting you Jim. I was interested in maybe a ART px-25. He said that he thought the ART px-25 was a very good amp. I didn't ask him about the Audiopax which he also sold. I asked him about my amp, 845 Viva Aurora Monoblocks, which he did sell at first with Avantgarde. He told me that if he was stranded on an island and had to choose one amp for the rest of his life it would be the Vivas. It was a nice comment to hear from someone so respected in this industry. Jim says he has closed the distributorship business for good. I don't see any gain to make a biased comment. I still would like to try a low powered like px-25 or 45 tube. I have to hear it one day for myself. There must be other Trio owners out there with other amp comments. Also, anyone in the Vancouver, Canada area with a flea powered that would like to hear on Trios let me now.
Steve.