Need help generating a short list

Greetings,

Well, I'm parting with my original VR-4's, which have served me well for many years. In some ways, I wonder if I'm making a mistake selling them, as they're still a wonderful loudspeaker even by today's standards.

At this point, I'd like to consider a more "lively" loudspeaker. The VR-4's are very "warm" sounding, and easy to listen to. The downside to this presentation is a lack of dynamics and impact. Bass extension is not an issue with the VR-4's, but the slam of a kick drum, the pluck of a bass, or the crack of a rim shot just isn't there. Having played the drums for many years, I yearn for a system that can recreate the dynamic impact of a drum kit!

I've tried many speaker technologies over the years; Horn (Altec 19's), Planar (Maggie's), Electrostatic (Martin Logans), and Conventional (Legacy Convergence, Thiel 2 2, Thiel 3.6, VR-4, others), and for some reason, have always come back to conventional designs. Of all the speakers I've owned, the Altec 19's were the most visceral, but they lacked detail and imaged poorly. The live event was there, but it was all mixed together. The most dynamic conventional speaker I've owned was the Legacy Convergence (similar to the Focus), but the presentation was too "hi-fi," and very fatiguing.

I realize it would be impossible to find a loudspeaker with the dynamics of a horn, midrange of a planar or electrostatic, and top to bottom detail of a superior conventional design, but I would imagine some speakers come close. I'm not talking $50K+ speakers, but speakers in the $5K range.

I've seen many a reference to the Aerial 10T and Talon Khorus as being very dynamic, yet detailed and extended, but what other speakers might be considered, particularly current models? I have a very large room, and need a speaker than can play loudly without compression. I realize horns are ideal, but I cannot afford the entry price for even a mediocre horn system.

With hundreds of manufacturers out there, I'm trying to develop a short list so I can limit my search/research. We don't have many "high-end" shops in my neck of the woods (Tampa Bay area), so it's likely I'll have to seek some of the products out during my business travel. Any help would be most appreciated.

By the way, I am intrigued by the "Waveguide" technology, that seems to offer the benefits of a conventional design, with some of the properties of a horn. I've been away from this hobby for 12+ years, so I'm very wet behind the ears. To my chagrin, there are still no shortage of companies trying to stack drivers in a tower configuration (ala Legacy), but it's certainly possible that this configuration has improved over the years.

Any help would be most appreciated!
seadweller
I don't doubt I'm looking for something that doesn't exist, or may not be available at a reasonable price point. The sad thing is, I believe this level of performance should be reasonably affordable.

I've tried the VR-4's with several amplifiers (JFET/MOSFET), and have listened to them with tubes as well (BAT), and the tubes imparted a real tubbiness to the sound. I've upgraded/changed the tubes in the pre-amp, etc. Nothing markedly changed their overall balance, which was warm and restrained, with very little mid-bass excitement.

It seems that there are two general camps when it comes to the conventional cone/dome loudspeaker camp; there's the warm and lush camp (Thiel, Vandersteen, Von Schweikert), and then the analytical camp (Legacy, who knows who else). I find the former boring, and the latter fatiguing.

I wonder if Altec's reborn A7 would be the ticket, albeit at a lofty price point. Perhaps I'll wait until '07, when I attend the CES show, to see what's out there. If I could find a mint pair of Model 19's in the interim however, I might just complete the circle!!!

Thanks again for everyone's input!!!!!!!!!!!!

there's the warm and lush camp (Thiel, Vandersteen, Von Schweikert)

My VR4 Gen III HSE are anything but warm and lush. Crisp, dynamic, clean...anything but warm and lush.

You saw the Altec 19 for $1000/pair which I liked to earlier? Mint? Unlikely.

I'm moving on, my friend. Good luck.
Sorry Tvad, I didn't realize that a link was embedded in your response....

I'll be attending CES, so I'll definitely visit the Von Schweikert suite. I'm sure they've changed since I bought my VR-4's ('97 I'm guessing), so perhaps the sonic signature has completely changed. I actually inquired about the "VR-4 to VR-5 upgrade," but it's no longer being offered.

There's seems to be a lot of fanfare regarding the Gen III HSE, so I should at least give the line another listen. What current VSR speaker replaced this model?
Seadweller,

I have owned the Sonic Frontiers Line 1, and you might want to consider upgrading the preamp as an option. I find the dynamics to be little flat with the SF pre. Just an opinion.