What's the greatest bargain in SET these days?

Hi, Gang,
I response to my recent review of the Reference 3A De Capo BE speaker, someone wrote that if you really want to hear them sing, you should try them with a SET amp, or words to that effect.
That got me thinking. The De Capo's are 92 db efficient, which (correct me if I'm wrong) seems kind of borderline for low-power SET amps.
In any event, right now I'm running mine with a pair of Manley Mahi mono-blocks. They are switchable from triode (20 watts) to "ultra linear" (40 watts). I run them in triode all the time, and in my room, the volume knob almost never goes past 9 o'clock; more would just be too loud.
All that said, what do you guys think of running the De Capo's with a SET amp? And if I did, what's the best bargain in SET's these days?
Thanks!
rebbi
Folks,
Somebody further up the thread just asked about where the 10.1 ohm output impedance figure came from. I don't have the issue sitting here in front of me, but I'm pretty certain Dick Olsher took the measurement himself as opposed to getting it from Coincident. I'm guessing he was trying to figure out the odd results he felt he was getting. Israel Blume didn't challenge the figure in his Manufacturer Response, so I guess it's pretty accurate. Not like TAS to take measurements, but there you go.
Grannyring:
As to your question about a 100% hard-wired SET kit, the Bottlehead Paramount 300B mono blocks come pretty close. There are, I believe, two very small PCB's in each block, but for the most part it's hard wired all the way.
Although the Kit 1 is a larger and more elaborate project than the Bottlehead Seduction phono pre that I built about 4 years ago, in some ways the Bottlehead was the harder build precisely because it's almost entirely hard wired. There are teeny little resistors that, for example, had to be soldered in between the pins of the valve bases.
That said, the Bottlehead designs are terrific (Paul Joppa is a first-rate designer). Additionally, their manuals are excellent and their online support forums are very active with supportive users. No question goes unanswered more than an hour or two.
I seriously, seriously considered building the Paramounts with their Bee Pre 300B based preamp instead of the AN Kit 1. In fact, I could've saved myself around $700 on the whole package during their Black Friday sale. But by the time you bought those three kits, the cost was about even with the AN Kit 1, and I'd also decided I wanted to simplify my rig down to an integrated amp.
Anyway, Grannyring, if you're interested in building a hard wired set kit, I'd give the Bottlehead Paramounts a serious look. Additionally, if you buy a preamp and amp together, you save 10% off the total.
Mikirob!
I think she'd love building that Kit. It's kinesthetically very pleasing to watch the thing come together. I especially enjoyed populating the PCB's with the resistors... it's somehow very satisfying.
I'll repeat what I said earlier. It's like cooking a meal. If you enjoy the process of chopping, blending, and so on, you'll get good results. If you're in a hurry to eat, you may not. So if your wife can take pleasure in the build process itself, she'll have a blast with it.
Charles, I was getting 1 to 2 hikes a week in up until Thanksgiving. I'm booked on the house this week and next, then my boots go back on.
Rebbi,
I've developed much respect for Paul Joppa based on his contributions and demeanor on the Audio Asylum SET forum. I also appreciate the input of Gordon Rankin(Wavelength Audio) who posts there sometimes. I believe Dennis Fraker is talented and has much to offer but he's certainly a polarizing person on that site. Joppa seems to avoid the "drama queen" behavior that appears there at times. I'm not surprised that his Bottlehead kits are well done.