Harbeth Experts

I'm kind of puzzled by the Harbeth speaker line.
They offer 4 speakers that appear to be roughly the same size and price.
How do the Monitor 30, Super HL5, Compact 7ES and LS 3/5A differ?
Which is the "standout" of the line sonically?
128x128dweller
Had the C7es2, M30, HLP3-eS2
Also briefly heard the SHL5.

I'd say, any one of them has that harbeth magic midrange= to die for.
I can live with either one of them.
I think its more of the room size you have if choosing which harbeth to own.

That said, I logged more hours listening to the M30.
I've had a pair of M30's for about 6 weeks. They replaced some Vandersteen 3A sigs. I prefer the Harbeths; they are warmer and have wonderfully detailed midrange, with less emphasis in high end detail (which makes them a bit "forgiving" in character, which I like).

Dweller, I have the same curiousity that you do about the rest of the line (as seconded by Drubin): How do the M30's compare to the Super HL5's? The M30s are just a bit forward, or, as one of the reviews noted "piquant." I might prefer the HL5's, if they are more laid back, and I would urge you to try to listen before you buy (which I did not do). I did hear some Compact 7's at a dealer (after committing to the M30s, as it happened), and was favorably impressed, generally, although I think the M30s may have better bass. The M30s have quite remarkable bass for their size.

I also completely agree with other comments that you really need some power to drive the M30's properly. I used a VTL 150 in triode mode that seemed to run out of gas in the bass; a BEL 1001, which worked fine; and have settled on an ARC VT 100 MkIII (which was in the shop when I got the speakers).

Good listening!
I currently run my M30's with a stock unison unico integrated and cardas neutral reference cables (non bired option). This seems to work well. But I've always been curious about the Super HL5's, perhaps my next speaker.

I agree with Eweedhome, the M30's offer a suprising amount of bass given their size. And there is a magic in the midrange (esp. vocals) to die for. My previous little Spendor 3/5se's kinda remind of this (although the dynamic range is a little restricted admittedly).

I'm guessing that the reasons that Harbeth can successfully market/produce so many models (some similarly priced), there must be a niche crowd that they appeal to sonically, each speaker probably perfoms slightly differently based on the room dynamics and electronics of choice. The common theme across the line, midrange magic and vocals done well.

anyway, my 2c worth if it helps the discussion at all........

happly listening to all!!
What speaker cables work well with harbeth?

i don't mean to highjack, i can use some help from fellow harbeth owners
Glai - For what it is worth, I am using all Cardas Cross in my system--interconnect and speaker cable. I landed on Cardas Cross (as opposed to Golden Cross, Purist Audio, Audioquest and something else I can't remember) after several months of auditioning cable. I was looking for something in a dark and euphonic direction (anything remotely bright--or one might say, "overly revealing in the highs"--drives me nuts lately), and the Cross seemed to be a good blend of euphonic and still reasonably revealing. I changed speakers (from Vandersteen 3a sigs to the Harbeths) after that cable journey, and the mix seems fine with the Harbeths. In fact, I can safely say that I'm enjoying my system more now than in several years.