Horn Speakers

After owning many different systems over the past 20 yrs or so, I’m coming to the realization that what I like most (at least right now) is lifelike dynamics, the kind that will make you jump.

I owned Maggies for several years. I love their big open sound, but missed the “punch” of dynamic speakers. About 3 yrs ago I went to Vandersteen’s, currently 3A’s. They still have that open sound and do offer some “punch”, not a ton, but some. Going to Nuforce amps gave the Vandies a little more kick, but I’m still missing the lifelike dynamics that I’ve heard with some horn speakers. The problem is, the horn speakers I’ve heard are a bit shouty & harsh.

My question, is there a reasonably priced horn speaker that offers the dynamics I’m missing, with a smoother, more refined sound? Used speakers are fine, I’m open to doing some mods (cross-overs, damping, etc) budget is $1500 +/-.
ecruz
I own a pair of Altec 604-8g (Model 17's) that sound to me what you describe you are looking for. The 17s are designed for nearfield listening and can be bought in your price range. Excellent clairty, soundstage and dynamics. They don't do much over 14hz and drop off pretty sharply at 40hz. For more info a google search using Altec 604 will give you alot more info.

Altec Model 19's if you have a larger room would fill the bill nicely. Again you should be able to get some within your price range.

These Altecs are high efficiency (100 db and up) and work very well with SET or PP tube amps. And there are lots of folks who drive them with SS amps too and enjoy them, although I prefer tubes with mine.

As far as the large heritage Klipsch, it seems there are quite a few heritage owners who replace the klipsh drivers and horns with Altec drivers in the heritage cabinets, but I will leave it up to you to research what is considered the best.

Great Plains Audio in Okla. City is owned by a long time (28 years) Altec employee and has all of the original Altec equiptment to service any problems with the drivers or horns for a very reasonable fee if they should need any attention.

Good luck in your search and I hope you find what trips your trigger. I did.
Ecruz, you don't need to spend $10,000. The Cornwall's with a warm solid state, or even better, a 30 watt or so integrated tube amp, and you will be surprised at what they will do.

A step up is the LaScalla's, which IMO are better, but don't have the bass extension and normally require a crossover mod to sound their best.

I've not heard the new RF-83's, but they may be exactly what your looking for. Better WAF for sure. Many on the Klipsch forum seem to think they're a bit too mellow, but all say they still have the dynamics and punch Klipsch is known for.

I'm certainly anxious to hear a pair.
Ecruz,

Some really great sounding Klipsch are well within your budget. You'll even have enough money left over to upgrade the xover networks. Consider the Chorus, Forte, and Legend series from Klipsch. None of them will run you over $1K. Another $250 to upgrade your xover networks and you'll be set.