Anybody else heard the Avalon Acoustics Isis?

I spent a delightful afternoon on friday listening to the Avalon Acoustics Isis speakers. These retail for $62000.00, so I was expecting a high level of performance, but was still surprised at how wonderful these speakers were at creating the sound of real music.

Even though this was in a store environment with electronics that are not my favorite cup of sonic tea, current Mark Levinson gear, the Isis's offered the following:

1) I'm quite enamored of the type of soundstage and natural layering that planer dipolar speakers provide, my home reference are MG-20's, the Isis was one of the few box enclosure speakers that offered this type of illusion regarding space. They just did not disappear, but offered this very natural 3D imaging without making individual players sound like "cutouts" against a background, but layering in a very natural way that sounds more like live music.

2) Great macrodynamics and resolution without sounding etched or in your face, and this was with electronics that I personnally don't find to be very musical! I would want to hear these speakers with a great tube pre and SS amps like Pass Labs XA's.

3) The whole sonic presentation was seemless, again reminding me of what great planer speakers have to offer, with a quick and rock solid bottom end.

I have listened to Wilson's, Kharma's, B&W's, Magico's, Dali's reference speakers on other occasions, and I was not as impressed as I was yesterday. Am I trading my MG-20's for the Isis's, no but if you have a chance to hear them I think you find it a very enjoyable experience.
teajay
Dev,

Why is sound of MBLs not my cup of tea? Well, I audition them twice-both times at lenght. First was all MBL system and they sounded artificial to me. I have to say that I attend classic music concerts regulary and sorry to say but Piano on MBL sound different then in real life. On Isis for example piano to my ears sound more real then on MBLs. Same story is with Rockports-they sound much more real then MBLs. MBLs sound excellent but, their sound is pleasing illusion-not repeat of the real music. I know that I am sounding rude about MBLs but, this is MY taste. I for example like MBL electronics a lot but, not their speakers. I respect them, just I could not live with them.
Hello Dev,

Thank you for your response and I do appreciate your insight and that of your friend who is (or at least was) a Wilson fan. I agree with you that the only way to decide is to listen for yourself and to not let others sway you. That is exactly how I built my current system over the years to begin with (spectral/MIT/Avalon). The only problem is that other than hearing MBL's at audio shows with flagship MBL electronics, I have no way to really compare them to my current setup to confirm or qualify my impressions.

That is why I look to you and others who at least have had Avalon's in there home and have done a direct A-B comparison. At the very least this is a way of getting some indirect evidence to help with the decision making process. Given that I can't do an evaluation first hand, the best I can do is increase the likelihood of making a sound and reasoned judgement for myself. By reaching out to people like you who have confirmed the MBL decision over the Avalons (I am quite familiar with the Eidolon Diamonds and the Isis as well) for themselves, that's one more data point to consider in valdating this for myself. I have also read all of the other MBL 101E threads on the forum as you suggested (I tend to read more than post).

Trust me when I tell you that if there was a way for me to do an A-B with the 101E's and my speakers (optimally in my system and my room), I would be all over it. Ufortunately, that has not proven feasable in Ft. Lauderdale, FL which is where I live.

I take it you don't live in the area by chance?
Hi Branimir Thanks for your response, that's fair to give your opinion and personal taste regarding the MBL 101's but I must say that I disagree with your findings 100% and I am most defiantly not experiencing artificial sound or when you referred to saying the Piano not sounding realistic while played on them. Total opposite in my findings so far.

I just had my Uncle over along with his son who are 6th generation Masters and world re-known piano builders and tuner's for the best of the best and could not believe how realistic the speakers sounded playing music especially Piano pieces so I have to say you have left me in awe with your overview and comments regarding this.

I have not heard the Rockport's but owned and lived with the Isis for almost two years along with others that I had mentioned in which I use as a reference for my own listening. Possibly your demos you had in length twice just were not right and that's why your conclusion is such and that's okay or possibly they just are not your "cup of tea" but I have to say they are the closes I have heard to realistic music. I am really appreciating what they can do and have never heard any speaker do what these can but I have not heard every speaker out there either, are they the best? nope. There is no best out there only different.

My friend who was over who owns the Wilson's could not believe what he was experiencing and said to me that if he had only heard this at shows and along with at dealers that his whole take on these speakers would have been the opposite and is now seriously looking at getting them but is awaiting the new Wilson's MK2's so he's in a bit of a pickel but then again he could buy a couple of pairs of MBL's for what he's paid for his new Wilson's.

I mentioned to him it should be real interesting when I get the CAT JL3 SIG. MK2's and Berning mono blocks to find out the sound difference, will I prefer it? don't know until I try it and that's what this hobby is all about.

When we refer to the Rockport's and their crazy list price, exactly how much do they list for? they better blow away the MBL's and almost every other speaker on the planet, will they do this? I would be shocked but if they do I'll be looking into getting a pair for my designated room.
Hi Sydsrig no unfortunately I do not live there but I'm a close neighbor in the Toronto Canada area so a return flight on your part would be very inexpensive. Once I sort out my new amp situation you are more than welcome to come, I'll even pick you up at the airport. I have some friends with just amazing systems that I would arrange set-ups for us to go over to listen so you would get a real flavour, Wilson's, my Isis speakers that I sold, Sound Labs, Mag. 20.1's, Assendo M's, to just name a few along with another members MBL 101 set-up.

Send me a personal email so we can look into doing this.
Hello Dev, Toronto - Wow, just around the corner I suppose...

I take it your friend that is waiting for the Wilson MK2's to come out, is waiting for the Alexandria II's? That's the only Wilson speaker that you could buy nearly three pair of 101E's for the same price.

I appreciate your offer to go on a tour of you and your friends systems in Toronto, and I may just take you up on it. I will be heading back to Las Vegas in early January for CES to have my fun and see what is new and exciting in our wonderful hobby.

When does it start getting warm in Toronto? My blood has thinned out living in South Florida and I may not survive the winter visit to Toronto...

I'll follow up with a personal note as well.

Thanks!