Classical speakers that do violins well??

All my serious listening is classical.

I hate nothing more than steely shrillness on violins or a glare on a soprano's voice.

I love nothing more than the faithful reproduction of the tone colors of unamplified instruments (the wood body of the violin and cello, the felt pad excting the sinewy strings of a piano).

YET, I hate bloated, indistinct, overly warm, billowy lower mids and upper bass (what I gather some think of as "musical").

Do you have any experience with speakers that might meet these needs for $2K, give or take (new or used)? Can be either floorstander or monitor, but with at least enough bass to perform decently on orchestral music. THANKS.
-Bob
hesson11
Mrtennis,

You may be right - come to think of it I measured the dip on the 3.6, not the 1.6. It was subtle, averaging maybe 1 dB or so.

Overall though, my impression of the 1.6 is different from yours for whatever reason.

Have you tried adding "wings" to your 1.6? That would extend their bottom end and warm them up a bit. You could do a test run with cardboard wings. Also if you use a resistor on the tweeter, I suggest something higher quality than the sandcasts the factory provides.

If Hesson11 is willing to change amps, the original Quad ESL would be my suggestion.

Duke
gentlemen:

I use 4 ohm resistors and still have a problem. I am using a tube amp, passive preamp and tube cd player.

i realize we all hear differently. i suspect its a case of perception. I probably perceive a spectral balance which emphasizes an exaggerated treble response more often than most.
Mrtennis...4 ohms is a lot for the MG1.6, although that value would be in line with what many speakers use when trying to hush up a dome tweeter to match the typical woofer. Since Magneplanar designs and builds both the woofer and tweeter parts of the MG 1.6 they can get the efficiency to match better than a manufacturer who uses off the shelf drivers.

I settled on 1.5 ohms. However, I have also replaced the stock iron core crossover inductors with #10 air core inductors having less resistance, so my woofer efficiency is a bit higher than stock.
Telarc use ATC SCM Active 20's - another brit speaker to add to your brit audition list suggested above. You won't get an active version and a massive sub at your price point but a used passive SCM 20 should be within reach and get you started towards
nothing more than the faithful reproduction of the tone colors of unamplified instruments

If it is good enough to keep Telarc engineers happy then it may be what you are looking for...

Good Luck!