New Audio Research Reference 150 SE

I just heard from my AR dealer that a new Reference 150 SE that uses KT150s will start shipping out in early March. Did I miss this on another forum or is this new news? This might explain why they have not endorsed using the KT 150s in the current Reference lineup.
128x128jonandfamily
Well that's me entirely confused Bif!!!

As far as I was aware the GS150 sports the newer gold coloured non Teflon coupling capacitors as do/did late production Ref150's like my own.

Have ARC now flipped once again and returned to the White Teflon's for SE models ???

Can you recall the colour of coupling caps as sported by your own Ref150
Prior to the upgrade?
Dull/flat white cans. The new caps are in shinier white plastic cans. As I previously posted, I do not know anything about the innards of the CCs. Why not call or e mail Kal and ask him? I learned my lesson about fiddling around with my amp.

In the meantime, the electric shock I previously posted about left me with an interesting side effect. Like Uncle Fester, I can energize light bulbs. I surmise that I absorbed 1040 joules of stored energy.
Uncle Fester?? *lol*

Have you noticed the new white wires and the way they're twisted? Both the wires and the "twist" are part of the upgrade as well. Don't ask me why or how ... I'm at the age where I'm still amazed that airplanes can fly without propellers.
Yes Oregonpapa, I did notice the new wires and the odd twist. That's the part that cost $5,000. LOL NOT :(

@Tsushima ... someone else asked me whether the SE upgrade included new PS caps. During a follow up call with Kal, he said no. And he also assured me that the SE upgraded Ref amps are identical to the Ref SE amps coming off the line.

That may not directly answer your question about the gold caps, but it should assure you that ARC is not putting 2 classes of Ref SE amps out in the market place. There are no second class citizen SE amps.

In a certain way, I like the idea that my Ref 150 amp was upgraded to SE status as compared to coming off the line as an SE amp. Reason: my Ref 150 was fully broken in when it went back to the factory. And it was a necessary part of the SE rebuild process that the amp was checked over from bow to stern. I take that as a good fact.

Oregonpapa ... the Ref 150 SE sounds terrific. I'm listening to Linda/Nelson records now and googling over Linda. I love her.