What is under $5k speaker with best bass slam?

Let's forget everything else. The bass should not necessarily go deep down to whale's voice territory.

Simply, what speaker <$5k has best bass slam?
Define bass slam? I don't know. Something I can feel with my body. Thump, slam, shockwave, etc.

Accompanied electronics? I don't know. Let's just talk about the speaker's potential.

Thanks

Doug
dh4kim
The Klipsch K-Horns always impressed the hell out of anyone who heard them for the first time. And the fact that a 25W/ch. amp could play them loud enough to make your ears bleed was the icing on the cake.

We dubbed them the "Ultimate Lease Breakers" back in the day...[g]

-RW-
Harmonic Precision Caravelle's. I have only heard one small speaker that sounded as good but they cost a lot more. Von Schweikert speakers suck!

O

o

Thanks for all the inputs. I mostly listen to music as backgrounds at a low level. My system is Ayre AX-7e, Harbeth HL Compact 7es2, computer digital output converted by Benchmark DAC1. I use apple lossless files. Their synergy is unbelievable and I am 99% satisfied.

The only thing I sometimes miss is "bass slam". I don't care too much for lowest frequency. But since I love drum sound and occasionally play drums, Harbeth C7 is not enough.

Like Shadorne's advice, I also thought about using pro speakers. But I wonder if there's any good looking pro speakers that will not ruin the indoor scene of my house.

Doug
04-04-08: Dh4kim
Thanks for all the inputs. I mostly listen to music as backgrounds at a low level.
Bass slam is usually a function of volume. Low volume listening does not lend itself to bass slam, IMO.

The Von Schweikert VR4 Gen III HSE would definitely not be good for you. They require volume for the bass slam to kick in. When I had mine driven by a Moscode 401HR, drums sounded live in my room. I have a close friend who is a professional motion picture sound recorder, and he commented that my system sounded more real than many Hollywood sound studios he had visited.
Tvad,
I am sorry I forgot to say that I'm going to setup a new system for bass slam. Although I am currently happy with my Ayre-Harbeth setup, I'm going to setup a dedicated bass slam system in 400 sq ft space.
Doug