Class D at low volume

Hi,

How do class D amps behave at low volume levels?  My question is general rather than related to a particular amp.  I know there are exceptions, but as a rule, SET’s and class A SS excel at low volume.  What about class D?  Is low volume performance of class D predetermined, all else being equal? Do class D amps have a comfort zone?  Do they distort more at low volume or is it uniform throughout?  For the purpose of this question I am only referring to analog input amps and not the ones that take in PCM (e.g. NAD M2).

The second part of my question is as follows.  I’m interested in some higher end commercial class D amps from the likes of lab.gruppen, powersoft, mc2, XTA, etc. due to their network-ability as in, I can control them, DSP them, and stream digital, all via RJ45, at the same time dispensing with all the extra boxes and cables.  But, they are all of very high power from 100‘s to 1000‘s of watts.  Does this mean that in a domestic setting at low volume they operate much closer to their noise floor or is this different with class D?

Thanks
serge_s
Good question. Since I built my Class D Audio amp, I haven't really done any low volume level listening, as all my listening sessions tend to be at my comfort zone, or my systems' comfort zone, and at, or near, concert hall levels.

I can't help you in any technical manner, but I don't see why they wouldn't perform well at low volume level. I have been very impressed by the amount, and quality, of detail, and intensity of each note, the Class D amps provide.

There has been no noticeable "noise floor", just the much-cliched "black background", all good components seem to have.

Class D Audio offers high quality kits, or complete amps, at what are extrordinarily low prices, all made in the USA using high quality parts. If you are curious, try one of their amps out. At their low prices, you have very little to lose.

At this point, I'd better add the usual disclaimer, of "having no affiliation with Class D Audio" in any way.

Regards,
Dan
I cannot speak of very high power class D, but my Rowland 102 producing 150W with my 6 ohm speakers is wonderful at low volume. In spite of hearing curve I don't feel any lack of lows or highs, resolution is there and image is even better than one at higher volumes (that might be related to some echo in my room). It behaves much better at low volume than my 50W Cambridge integrated, I had before.

Also, I hear much less noise/hiss while bringing my ear to the tweeter, in spite of higher power.
Mine work great at lower volume.

They are so clean and effortless and totally non fatiguing. I often do not realize how high the volume is until someone speaks in the room.

They are playing at low volume currently as I type on my triangle speakers which themselves are fantastic lower volume speakers.

👍👍