Subwoofer damping

I didn't no whether to post this in the speaker or tech forum, but I'll ask my query.

I have a very large subwoofer which has 2 16 inch drivers. I fired this baby up today after having it in storage for many years. I played a reference recording of Frederick Fennell's Pomp & Pipes. Well I set the crossover pots at 10:00, 6 being the lowest and 5 highest. Everthing was ok till there was some low and I mean low frequency with plenty of dynamics. I could hear the drivers make a girgle sound that came out the 4 vents in the cabinet.

I can't recall if I've heard this before and I'm thinking that I need to add additional damping material. Doe's anybody supply speaker wool anymore? I can't imagine overdriving this thing....I think my house would collapse...so adding more material seems might help. Any speaker tech's with answers would be appreciated.

Roger
wavetrader
You're welcome, Wavetrader.

I used to make my own adjustable quasi-variovents, one of which made it into a SpeakerBuilder magazine article about a CRT-and-floppy friendly speaker back in the late 80's.

Duke
For example, a variovent with a high-end TC Sounds woofer, like the ones used in JL Audio subs, would probably work very well.

Yes but even the LMS-Ultra 18 with 4 inch Voice Coil and 30 mm Xmax is suited to a 6.5 cu Ft sealed box - this is one of the best subwoofer drivers in the world - so why the 20+ cu ft that Wavetrader has? (Surely they are folded horns/bass bins?)

BTW - I heard TC Sounds is bankrupt does this mean JL audio will not be able to use their drivers anymore?
If this is the case, then you have a band-pass enclosure. And if it uses Scan-Speak drivers . . . the vast majority of which have a pretty low Qes . . . that means that this is probably a sixth-order bandpass enclosure. Also, a 6th-order bandpass box, with two 16" drivers, tuned to low frequencies, could easily be as freaking huge as what you have.

Kirkus - you are thinking the same way I am...surely this has got to be bandpass...
Ok let me point out that...and I am sorry I didn't earlier that these drivers are mounted on a thick plate that secures to the bottom of the box. They fire downward and are completely visible if you had the box on it's side. It's been a long time since I actually had it apart...but I seem to remember 2 chambers and corner bracing and so on. The box is made of HDF I recall and weighs about 200 lbs. The plate with drivers is probably 100 lbs+. If I was really industrius I'd pull it apart and check but it is a bear to handle.

Roger