Laid Back Speakers amps, players etc

I've heard this term so many times, usually describing a speaker but I can't seem to understand what it actually means. I've heard so many equipment in this hobby the last 8 years but I have never heard something that I could describe as "Laid Back".
I would be very interested to know your definition of this term...
argyro
Great answers everybody!!

I would suggest Verity speakers, purist audio cables, cardas cables, most tubes, spendor speakers, sonus faber maybe, Lamms, generally anything that makes you relax as real music does.
Shoe, add Silverline speakers to your list
Shadorne (System | Reviews | Threads | Answers)

My Silverline Sonata III are very revealing of what's upstream. Laid back they are not.

Perhaps other models in the Silverline line-up are.
With the possible exception of the B&W line and maybe Epos, check out any speaker made in the UK. As one member posted - Harbeth and ProAc, you could add Stirling and especially Spendor which I mentioned ealier.

In speaking with many Dealers by phone over the years it seems that the British products(not all and I am not painting them into this corner)have a rep for having a more laid back sound then products made here in America or its other European counterparts. Fire up a JM Lab next to a Spendor and you will get an idea.
I own an Arcam CD36 as a front end and Spendor S6e speaker. My system is very much on the laid back warm side. For me, I am looking for a bit more of a neutral open presentation at this point though.

Good luck.
Tvad,

You are right - not all Silverline are laid back.

I was in particular thinking of the "scooped midrange" on these or these. And the harmonics in the bass here, which will add warmth.

I have not heard your speakers but they are sometimes favorably compared to Sonus Faber Amati (in the magazines) - which suggests they have a much more detailed and flatter response then the above.

Good point.