Kef 104/2 Replacements

I have had my Kef 104/2's for almost 20 years and have always gone back to them over other speakers I've tried. Unfortunately for me they are finally in need of permanent replacement. I am looking for a similar sounding replacment that will work well in my existing system. I'm using a Bryston 4B ST, Manley Shrimp, Classe CDP 10, and all Harmonic Technology cables. I'm hoping to spend between $1200-2500 if possible. As always - any help is greatly appreciated.

Clayeton
128x128clayeton
Guido, can you kindly provide model numbers for the Vifa tweeters? Did you have to change the crossover network with the new tweeters? Did you replace capacitors with the same original values, or different values? Thanks.
I managed to find some Vifa tweeters that fit and put them in -- out of curiousity and worry that I was missing something -- but preferred the original tweeters, which were still in good shape -- no leakage that I know of. Unfortunately I no longer have the Vifa tweeters. Or actually fortunately...these didn't work for me and may not work for others as well.

I am powering the KEFs with 300b amps. I know that sounds like it would not work, but it does. But maybe the Vifa experience was related to the low power.

Rebuilding them sounds like an exciting option, especially if the imaging and magic stays or is enhanced. But would it not be possible to find another pair of these speakers?

I picked up a pair last year and the surrounds were in great shape. And to my ears, the tweeters as well.

That said, I'm up for replacing capacitors if I would get an improvement, but after the Vifa project I'm satisfied to enjoy them as they are. I am curious about changing internal connections though.
I suggest considering used Merlin TSMs. If they don't give you enough bass, add a subwoofer.
It is unlikely that any drop in drivers will work for this system. VERY rarely can you find drivers that drop in that were not original manufacturer specs.
Just finished re-doing my 1987 Kef 104.2's. Superb sound is back. I would definitely fix those speakers instead of replacing them. I redid the crossovers, had the woofers refoamed professionally and installed the Peerless 25DX tweeters which were almost a drop in. I remember now why all the hoopla about these fabulous classics. Richly deserved. Total outlay $370. Would need to spend thousands for better sounding speakers.