RMAF 2008 - Your impressions,...

I know there's still few hours to go but I was wondering what my fellow Audiogoners think of RMAF 2008. What equipment left great impression, even what was a bit of a let down...As for me, it was my first year and my time was very limited, but I have to point out Emerald Physics for their CS1 and CS2, which are great speakers, selling for much less (esp. CS2) than you would think. They sound a bit different than what most of us are used to due to their unique design. Unfortunately their need for two amps make it little difficult to integrate them in my system, otherwise they'd be on top of my list. I also have to mention AV123 and GR-Research whose X-static speakers must be one of the best bargains on the market (I know, we all have heard it before...), anybody looking for a $1000 dollar speakers (and even much more) need to give these a listen.
branislav
Cheif,

DeHavilland, I believe, had the Playback. The very best from digial was the Playback as it sounded very different than all the other CDP.

I brought one CD and played it on 15 different systems and it all sounded the some, like sh=t. Digital sucks big time.

High Water Sound was playing .50 cent records that blew away all the failing digital sources at the show.

Red Wine Audio with their 100% battery powered gear & powered TT was outstanding. It goes to show you that you don't need to spend 30K for a great system and don't need 35 speakers in each cabinet to sound great.

Robyatt Audio was hot with the Garrard 301 and inexpensive tube amps. Vinyl, boys and girls, is where the music is.

EP CS1 was cooking yet had digital for playback. Even so it was rewarding to hear. Much better than the CS2 speaker.

I think digital ruins a show such as RMAF but not so with the Playback. It made me think twice about digital but only for a second. Better than my Lector T3 by a long shot
Has onyone else head this player?
Glory, there's lots of chatter about the PD here on A'gon. You'll be able to find a ton with the search function. I'm just glad to finally get some company in my view of the PD.

Could you name a few of the other CDPs that you listened to?

Dave
Glory, did you hear the comparison of mono and stereo recordings in the Robyatt Audio suite? Mono just blew away stereo in both of the demos. He used Brubeck Take Five and Ella Fitzgerald Cole Porter Songbook. I bought the mono Otono-Edison: Miyajima Laboratory Series on the spot. I also bought a unique headshell from 47 Labs to use it on my Shindo arm.

My experience in the suite with Luxman electronics and Avid speakers, I think, which used master tapes suggests that even vinyl falls far short. Were tapes not such a pain in the ass, there is no question where I would go.

I used a friends cd in multiple suites. I was amazed at how different each seat rendered its sound. I am not as negative about digital given what I get out of Exemplar moded gear, including a music server.

I still await the future development of the Feastrex full-range drivers. If only the 9 inchers, which have the potential to go low, sounded anywhere near the 5 inchers. They have the greatest potential of anything I heard there.

I also thought the Acapella Triolons were much better than last year, but the OTLs just cannot handle the low impedance at high volume levels. Not that I can afford these speakers or have a room where I might use them.
Tbg,

Yes the Triolons did sound better than last yr. They are now broken in is what I was told by the designer. I had my music played on the system and all I can say is you can hear everything on the CD with such clairity. You need a football feild to put them in.

I did hear the mono cart in the Robyatt room. For $900.00 the cart is a steal. Kool how he changed the two carts in 10 seconds.

I was shocked at how good the little $$$ systems sounded vs. the bigger more expensive systems.

Did you see/hear the ET speakers in room 1003? $65,000.00?
Glory, are they the Bastanis Apollo loudspeakers? I am sure I was in the room, but remember little else. I guess that means I was not impressed.

Robyatt did not overload the room. In the old days the Quads 57s were always the best sound as they did not overload the room.