RMAF 2008 - Your impressions,...

I know there's still few hours to go but I was wondering what my fellow Audiogoners think of RMAF 2008. What equipment left great impression, even what was a bit of a let down...As for me, it was my first year and my time was very limited, but I have to point out Emerald Physics for their CS1 and CS2, which are great speakers, selling for much less (esp. CS2) than you would think. They sound a bit different than what most of us are used to due to their unique design. Unfortunately their need for two amps make it little difficult to integrate them in my system, otherwise they'd be on top of my list. I also have to mention AV123 and GR-Research whose X-static speakers must be one of the best bargains on the market (I know, we all have heard it before...), anybody looking for a $1000 dollar speakers (and even much more) need to give these a listen.
branislav
'Digital can make any system sound like Sh-t. =8^)'

I disagree. There is at least one system I know that is an exception rather than a rule. Sadly not my own.

'The Playback CDP was the only one that sounded good at RMAF IMHO'.

Are you saying only 1 cd player sounded any good at the show? If so, are you 100% sure that none of the 'loudspeakers' were not to blame at all, maybe.?

I think I heard Apogees at last years show, very nice indeed.
Bless,

What system are you talking about "that is an exception"?

The Playback CDP just sounded different than the other players and that for the better.

If one is bringing in a new line of speakers, such as the EP CS1,then why would one run digital on them? The CS1 is ugly but it was one of the better sounding speakers in the show. It would have been nice to hear them with a TT set up. For the money and being SS, I must admit, it was a great sound for sure.

It was very enjoyable to go into rooms with a TT setup and get to hear the different TT, carts and arms being used. Heavenly sounds that made the show worth going to.
I have heard one of the UK's most respected hi-fi reviewers personal system on more than one occasion and I must say it brought tears to a glass eye. I am now of the opinion after hearing his system that if any cd sounds bad then its not the cd but the ancillary equipment namely the speakers. The system sounded very uncanny and way way out of the norm.
Gawdbless, I have to disagree with you, in general. Most CDPs do sound pretty horrid through even the very best ancillary equipment, IME.

I own a Playback Designs, but unlike Glory I think that there are other contenders, such as Emm, dCS and Esoteric that are excellent in many respects. So far, the PD is my favorite, but I could "live" with some of the others.

Lot's of people do put systems together to cover up the weakness of digital, IMHO. They try to roll off highs and homoginize the mids, but I prefer systems that transparency and accurate highs. Unfortunately, only the best CDP will sound good in such systems, IME.

Dave
Step,

I have a Lector T3 and can live with it and it does have some exellent qualities about it.

The PD was my favorite CDP I heard at the show.

But they all pale when comparied to even a simple TT setup.
The Garrard TT smoked them all. When you consider the money one would spend on a Garrard 301 TT, TA and cart it would be less money or the same as one of these phoney sounding CDP would cost.

Garrard TT $4000.00
TA $2000.00
Cart $4000.00
RC $400.00

Big ass CDP $10,000.00/$15,000.00 EMM,Esoteric.