6922 tube selection

Time to retube the C-J pre amp and amp. Looking at Genalex Gold Lion tubes at $46.00 each vs Electro Harmonix at $26.00 each. Need a total of 7 tubes. (4 for pre amp and 3 for amp). Any reason to spend the extra money on the Gold Lions? And, any need to spend the extra $5.00 per tube for matching? Thanks for the feedback!
quincy
04-03-15: Ebm
Call Andy ASAP for the only honest tube guy.
Looks like Ebm got taken to the cleaners buying off Craigslist, Ebay ... LOL!!!

I buy majority of tubes from Brent Jesse. Also use PCX, Upscale and TubeWorld. Once I bought 6H30-DR off Ebay from a dealer in Russia and they were fakes so lesson learned.

Currently my favorite e88cc are 60's Siemen and Telefunken. Both are dynamic, tight imaging, transparent, airy and dead neutral. I also have 60's Siemens grey plate Cca but with current speakers, I prefer the e88cc.
I would highly recommend using Jim McShane for your tube purchases. One of the best
Very good comments and feed back. Thank you. NOS is just that; NOS. No one 'really' knows where they have been or how and if they have been used. No one knows how many times they were bought and sold through middlemen and liquidators. I agree that any new tube can sit on a shelf for 100 years with no issue, but apply the voltage and the clock is ticking. NOS has been out of production for so long (~50 years) one would hope that those still making tubes have developed some manufacturing advancements to insure better quality control. Once again... Thanks!
Quincy,

If your comfort level requires that you use only new production tubes then that's what I think you should do. There's no sense in destroying your enjoyment of music with worry about what's in the equipment (and don't think I'm being sarcastic because I'm not!). I would ask you though, in these days of planned obsolescence, has improved quality control trumped the quest for the almighty dollar (or ruble as the case may be)? I believe that NOS tubes are, in general, better made than current production because people used to take pride in what they made. In addition, the tube sellers previously mentioned scrupulously test the NOS tubes they sell. I think I would worry more about putting an untested new-production tube in my amp than a NOS tube that HAS been tested but that's just me. In any case, you have a great preamp. Re-tube it and enjoy.

Dick
I got a pair of 6922 Telefunkens from Kevin @ upscale, and they were well worth the high price.