Clayton Audio Class A amps. Need amp advice

Hi Guys,

I am looking to change my amps and for a few reasons.

First because I just upgraded my DAC from the great PS Audio DirectStream to the incredible Bricasti M1 DSD USB DAC. I love the Bricasti and it has shown that in my system it could offer me more with a more resolving and neutral amp IMO.

I am currently am using the wonderful sounding CJ Premier 12 mono tube amps. I love them and tubes in general but my speakers are the great Ascendo C8 Renaissance and look to present a somewhat benign load being 88 efficient and 6ohm but they are unique and have an internal firing 21 cm Kevlar Bass driver that is great but stubborn and the speakers I think will really shine with a iron fist control of that driver.

I love tubes, always have and always will but I grown tires of a flabby bottom which is exasperated by a unique and somewhat difficult to grip bass driver set up I spoke about above.

I want an amp that can give me as much tube sound as possible but with Grip and bottom end. I know this is a lot to ask for in the used $5k to $7k price range.

I have read and it seem like the Clayton offer exactly what I am looking for but wanted to hear from some of you guys if anyone has ever heard them or know of them or anything. Any info would really be appreciated. Here is the info on my speakers and I will also list the rest of my system in case you think that is helpful. Thanks

C8 Renaissance
Technical Data
Principle
• Three-Way with SASB bass unit (TOS Off)
(current damped outer driver with semi symmetrical band pass)
• Four-Way with SASB bass unit (TOS On)
Dimensions (W/H/D)
• 28 / 80 / 40 (without Base)
• 28 / 108 / 40 (with Base)
Weight
35 kg
Frequency Range
29 Hz (-3 dB) – 32.000 Hz
Power Rating
350 W Program (min)
Impedance
6 Ohm
Sensivity
88 dB / 1W/m
Outer Chassis (COAX)
• 25 mm Neodymium-fabric-tweeter
• 18 cm Woofer with XP cone
Inner Chassis
• 21 cm Chassis, Kevlar cone
TOS Chassis
• Ribbon-tweeter
TOS Function
• switchable (TOS Unit - Dipole AN / AUS)
Sockets
• Single / BiWiring Base
Dimensions (W/H/D)
28 / 18 / 40 cm
Weight
11 kg

Ascendo C-8 Renaissance Speakers (Germany) Speaker
Purist Audio Design Corvus Praesto Revision 2.5m Bi-Wire Speaker cable
Darwin TRUTH Pure Silver Reference 1 Meter RCA Interconnect
Darwin TRUTH Pure Silver Reference 1 Meter RCA Interconnect
Bricasti M1 USB / DSD / Volume Control DAC (New) DA converter
Tellurium Q BLACK DIAMOND Reference USB Cable
Decware ZSTAGE External Triode Output StageTelefunken ECC801S
Audio Research REFERENCE 1 MK II w/Rhodium IEC/NOS Tubes Tube preamp
PS Audio PowerPlant Premier AC Regenerator
Conrad Johnson Premier 12 Mono's 140 Watts Tung-Sol KT120's Tube amp
Salamander Amplifier Stands (2) Synergy System AV Furniture Stand
BMI Shark Jeweler Grade Platinum 9 AWG AC Power Cable
Mad Scientist PC-NEO with Power Purifier 11 AWG Power Cable
Sablon Audio Petite Corona 2.0M 7 AWG AC Power Cable
JPS Labs The Power AC+ 2M 8 AWG AC Power Cable
Synergistic Research Labs Tesla Series SE T1 AC Power Cable
Synergistic Research Labs Tesla Series T1 AC Power Cable
PS Audio Noise Harvester (5) Converts noise to light
OYAIDE RI Beryllium Power Outlets (2)
Blue Circle Audio The Yalu Balula Industrial Surge/Spike Protection
JPLAY v5.2 hi-end audio player turns PC into a digital transport.
Fidelizer Pro Version 6.1
JRiver Media Center 19 Music Software
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xfsmithjack
I'm sure the Clayton M300's will sound great, especially if they have the hum issue fixed. My M100's also had that transformer hum issue, but did sound great.

On another note, many audiophiles are prone to hyperbole. Nothing I've heard in audio "kills" anything else unless you are comparing it to something broken. We all have our tastes and system synergy is involved too. I have a friend who owns the CAT JL2's who has a LOT of experience. I'm sure he would find Tfl303's comment quite humorous. That is why I tend to disregard sales-speak like X kills Y, or Y blows Z out of the water. I find that it really is not useful information, especially when the poster is not experienced enough to post IMHO, or YMMV. Showing that they understand enough about this hobby to respect synergy and individual tastes.

I'm off my soapbox now. Good luck with your purchase Fsmithjack.
Jmcgrogan2,
I agree strongly with your "soapbox" comments and have stated similar comments recently on this site. I feel hyperbole is relied on too often when people decscribe differences among audio components. I don't doubt Tf1303 finds the Clayton better sounding in his system and with his particular speakers(better match). Given enough time, someone will write the CAT JL2 "blows the Claytons away". Obviously we all will have our preferences for a variety of good reasons. Components can clearly outperform another component without "night and day" "jaw dropping" wide gaps between them. For people seeking trustworthy advice/opinions, hyperbole doesn't contribute.
Charles,
Jmcgrogan2 thanks so much! I appreciate it. I think Tfl303 was kinda kidding a bit there and being facetious. Also I have read others in the Clayton camp use that kind of over emphasis talk for effect when comparing them to others. I think if we apply a bit of deductive reasoning knowing they are being facetious a bit and using limited wording they are trying to drive the point home that these are really underrated amps that need to be heard to appreciate. With their power most all speakers are at their disposal and the people familiar with them just gush over them. I have also read even with the hum fix there is still slight bit of it there if you get up real close it them just because I don't think you get 600watt / 4ohm in Pure Class A without any of it. That is why most are 30 or 50 or 60 watts. 300/600 is really not common. Thanks so much... Can anyone else familiar with Clayton chime in and offer some input to help us clarify some more. Thx
Given the two amplifiers under consideration, I believe the tradeoff is the following. The big Clayton will provide the more iron fisted bass slam/impact that some associate with powerful solid state amplifiers. I suspect the CJ large tube amps will have less of that bass wallop and tightness(but still very good bass overall). The CJ will likely be more 3 dimensional,liquid and organic relative to the SS Claytons. It will depend on which traits are valued more dearly. I wish both could be auditioned prior to buying,
Best of Luck,
Charles,
Zd542: brilliant post(s). You're not just right, you're exactly right. Thank you.