which is your favorite inexpensive stereo system?

I friend of mine would like to buy a 1K (if less even better) two channel system for an small room. So I will appreciate your inputs on which systems (amplifier plus speakers) are your favorites. I just want to learn which system you can setup with those limitations and enjoy everyday.
Thank you for share your experience.

Rodrigo
rverdun
Listen in my office all day every day:

NAD 1600 monitor pre/tuner $100 on agon
NAD 2400thx monitor pwer amp $150 on agon
B&W CDM monitors $600 on agon
NAD 525bee cd player $200 on agon

Ok, I am $50 over and spent $150 on ic's and spker cable as well, but I love the sound of this basic system. Tonally sweet, full sounding and never fatiguing (wish i could say the same about the work)

Regards,
Paul
Source: Oppo DV-980H -- $169
Amp: Onkyo A-9555 Integrated -- $450 at J&R
Speakers: Athena LS-500 Towers -- $298 at Audio Advisor (closeout)
Interconnect: AQ Blue Racer II -- $69 at Audio Advisor
Speaker Cables: AQ GBC -- $79.95 at HCM Audio. Specify banana plugs for Onkyo
Ascend Acoustics Sierra 1- used from agon

NAD or Cambridge Audio- used

Oppo- used
all good picks...fwiw...i think you should splurge on used spkrs at this level. electronics are not gonna be much different to this friend imo. oppo is a good call as they are universal but you trade off on redbook cds as oppo does not have as good of a built in dac as say the NAD which will make his standard cds sound better perhaps. stick with solid state.
A Decware 84C Tube Integrated Amp with a pair of Parker Signature 95 Speakers 2 ways would get u at or a little above this price range $1,200 or $1,300.00 new or used at the price range.