which is your favorite inexpensive stereo system?

I friend of mine would like to buy a 1K (if less even better) two channel system for an small room. So I will appreciate your inputs on which systems (amplifier plus speakers) are your favorites. I just want to learn which system you can setup with those limitations and enjoy everyday.
Thank you for share your experience.

Rodrigo
rverdun
Ascend Acoustics Sierra 1- used from agon

NAD or Cambridge Audio- used

Oppo- used
all good picks...fwiw...i think you should splurge on used spkrs at this level. electronics are not gonna be much different to this friend imo. oppo is a good call as they are universal but you trade off on redbook cds as oppo does not have as good of a built in dac as say the NAD which will make his standard cds sound better perhaps. stick with solid state.
A Decware 84C Tube Integrated Amp with a pair of Parker Signature 95 Speakers 2 ways would get u at or a little above this price range $1,200 or $1,300.00 new or used at the price range.
An iPod with Audioengine 2 or 5s is a wonderfull nearfield stereo.

For a true stereo:

Cambridge Audio 540 v2 integrated amp ($400) with a Sony Playstation 1 CD ($40) and DALI Lektor 1 speakers ($300) with Chord silver cables ($200).

Cambridge offers a great phono stage ($100) that you can link up a Rega P1 tt ($400).
Actually, upon reflection, I think there may be a real alternative to the NHT system - if you prefer planar loudspeakers. The smaller Magnepans sometimes show up on this site used for $350 - $450, depending on vintage, condition, etc. If you can get a cheap cd player and enough power from a receiver or amp on your budget, that could be another way to go. Won't have the dynamics or bandwidth of the NHT, but will have unique charms of its own.

Marty