Acoustat, 121-2a can they be cut down

I have a pair of Acoustat 121-2a that I would like to shorten.....Has anyone tried that ??? Can it be done without a total waste ???
autospec
You guys are bringing back some Acoustat memories. I had the 1+1's, 2+2's, and Monitor 3's. Basically, the more narrow the panel, the better it will image. That said, using more panels gives you more impact and efficiency.

The 2+2's and Monitor 3's were my favorites and I could live happily with either model. The 2+2's may have imaged slightly better, but the 3's had a bit more midbass impact.

Fire_bottle's idea of cutting the frames so that 2 panels would stand about 5 feet tall (holding the panels 12" off the floor) seems like a good one.

The Monitor 4's had the worst imaging of the lot and you need the right room for those as they are very wide and bass heavy.
Since the 2+2's generally sell faster and for more money than the shorter side by side configurations, you might post them for trade here and ask for paid shipping.
Agreed with Samujohn, you may want to just find the model that fits your room best and sell off the 2+2s, especially if you can do both locally.

Plato, in my experience the Monitor 4s can actually sound downright magical in the right room. I've displaced Model 3s in fairly narrow rooms twice now. With Acoustats it's always a matter of just setting them up and seeing what happens... which is why I tend to keep a stock of various models handy.

Fortunately for me I have low ceilings so it's down to three models - the 2, 3, and 4. Right now the Monitor 4s are winning out to my surprise!
HI, I just can't see why you would want to do such a thing...I loved the 3's...I hated the lil 2's, which I guess is what you're ending up with. No bass, little things not worth messing with. If you played flute music all day, maybe....don't do it. Get a different speaker and let it live....
I would rather have a short Acoustat than no Acoustat at all....They won't fit in my house right now.....They do sound good in my shop along with my Altec A-5....I think that Mr. Fire-bottles has most of the problem figured out.....THANKS