distance between speakers

been reading a few articles on speaker placement to get idaes on how to best position mine.
When people talk about the distance between spaekers do they mean inside edge to inside edge or tweeter center to tweeeter center ... or something else
also when they say x feet to the back wall do they mean x feet from the back of the speaker to the wall behind or x feet from the front of the speaker?
thanks
ray
rrm
Jax2: I apologize for not being clear enough. I knew you weren't suggesting the distance as a hard-and-fast rule. I was just curious as to what sorts of factors you'd found had impacted that distance.
Dcstep, You've made me curious. What should I have said? Something like "I don't know what you're reading but with my XXX years of set up experience I can assure you that the only meaningful set up theory and practice is embodied in the Sumiko set up methodology"?

Well from the nature of your post I guess you might well have done so, as presumptious as that might have been. :-(
Did anyone answer the OP's question about how to measure the speaker distance from the back wall? I saw a few responses that mentioned driver to driver for the distance apart, but I'm curious about how to measure distance to the back wall myself.

FWIW - I've used all sorts of measurement and placement schemes. I do not like equilateral triangles or the Cardas method (requires a too perfect room). I do like the basic premises of the 83% theory, the Audio Physics method, and the Sumiko Master set (in some way I found this similar to the Audio Physic method). As mentioned, these are good places to start and fine tune from there. Some good reading on the Decware site as well.
I disagree. The OP's question implied that he was attempting to set up his speakers by measuring the placement. Newbee merely said to measure from the drivers.

Hmm, you and I understood the OP differently then. I would not make the same assumption as you have. I see that he's reading articles (plural) on speaker placement and some mention measurements. He seems to want to clarify those points the measurements were taken from. I would never have read into that he is subscribing to any one of those methods. Just that he was curious enough to read more than one article. That in itself would prompt me to offer suggestions, as you and others have. Furthermore, Newbee suggested what HE used as the points in question. He did not suggest subscribing to using a specific methodology.

Yes, I think we basically agree, though I'm not entirely sure. I agree with some of the things you said - as I've pointed out later, I do not think there is a single methodology to use, that, as a rule, will work with every room, including the Sumiko one you suggest. But then I only have half of your 50 years in this hobby. Do you get a gold watch or certificate for your wall when you reach that landmark? :-)

Yes, I did feel you came off as disagreeable and thank you for the apology. Call me thin-skinned, but the phrase "extremely naive concept" as well as the general tone of your post rubbed me the wrong way.

Newbee - Yes, you've described it better than I did; essentially a triangle where two sides are identical (distance from ear to driver, not ear to speaker plane), and the base is 83% of those sides. Again, a suggested starting point.

If you came at this with no suggested starting points at all you might very well put one speaker in a corner in front of you and the other to your left side facing away from you and see how the sound pressure suits the music. Keep moving them around until you figure it all out and the pressure is equalized, and measurements are strictly verboten.

Mockturtle - No worries. I have had systems in various small rooms and, again, ran into some of the same challenges you describe (per my response). Sometimes a good solution, I've found is an asymetric corner placement. Man, Roger Sanders did that with his panels at a couple of the shows I've been to and was able to achieve a pretty impressive soundstage considering the size of the panels vs the size of the room they were in. Very impressive.

Marco
Clio09, Nice speakers I think. I've read about them and would like to hear them someday. I've always wanted to do business with Duke.

LOL at myself. I just erased a long diatribe about how to determine how far to place speakers from the wall behind them and why. Then the light went on! That was neither what you asked or wanted read.

As I 'thought' I mentioned originally, but didn't, I believe set up folks always refer to the front of the speaker. If I had to pick a driver I would pick the woofer because of it's utilization of the back wall in its output but I don't think anyone really has fine tuned their recommendations that closely.

FWIW