Upgrading from Wilson Sophia 2's?

Currently using these in a 14x25 room. Enjoying them for the most part, but they can sound aggressive and make mediocre recordings sound like crap and be somewhat fatiguing. Iā€™m interested in trying something that is slightly more forgiving without sacrificing a lot of detail, air, dynamics, etc.

Any suggestions?

Associated equipment (preamps still in flux):

Amps
Pass XA 100.5 monoblocks

Preamps ā€“ Tube
Audio Valve Eclipse
Cary SLP-05

Preamps ā€“ SS
Fire H20
Wyred 4 Sound STP SE
Pass XP-20

Sources:
ModWright Transporter
Raven One TT / Triplanar / Dynavector XV-1s

Thanks.
madfloyd
dave- i think you have room issues. if your couch is against the rear wall, that is a telling sign.

the trees, canvas art, and drapes aren't really treatment. i am going through the same process myself, and i've given up on better components until the room is solved. i ended up hiring Rives...

cheers,

KeithR
Keithr, I am very pleased with my room actually. I learned from Dunlavy that having your listening position against the back wall reduces standing waves and supports deep bass. The best rooms I've heard have had natural room treatments such as wood tables, soft furniture, plants, uneven/open walls, lower ceilings, drapes, artwork etc... Breaking up the frequencies and dispersing them reduces cancellation/amplification effects. Many treated rooms I've heard have sounded dull and lifeless. A balance is needed I guess:O)
I had a simliar experience but it was with the version 1 Sophia's; I had been using the W/P 7's for some time and traded them for the Sophia's, to downsize my system. The W/P's midrange was recessed and I always wished it to be more forward. (Let me take a moment to state that I believe both my W/P's and the Sophia's could have garnered better results with more freedom of movement in my room.)

When I switched to the Sophia's the midrange was more forward, which I liked, but they were more aggressive and fatiguing just as you experienced. I did not experiment much with placement of the Sophia's as I had another set of speakers I prefered so I sold the Sophia's.