Tailoring tweeter output

Many companys recommend listening with grill on, like Avalon or Dynaudio. On stereophile measurements, the grill changes direct output from the speaker significantly. I am experimenting with this, any recommendation on specific material. Does the reflected from the padding/grill sound create any issues?

THanks
128x128glai
Many thanks to everyone. I will update this as I try the suggested solutions in the future.

I have very rudimentary understanding of room acoustics so I have done mostly trial and error. The long wall setup resulted in a 12-15db peak at 40Hz which is insurmountable to most traps. I even plugged all the ports and treated the back and front wall.

Most of the time, less toe in should reduce high freq energy. My problem is that the midrange driver has a narrower dispersion than the ribbon tweeter.

I think the ASC is great in offering diffusion in combination with bass trapping.

Forgive my ignorance buy why are you trying to reduce the tweeter output from a speaker you love? Trying to surpress the tweeter will be like killing the "air" and sonic life of certain instruments.

By chance have you considered - like in Kung Fu?! - to redirect the energy instead? Use a diffuser on the side walls - 1D works best for latteral diffusion, as in QRD or hemi-cylindrical - and begin with the diffuser in line with your listening chair and push it towards the front wall in 2"-3" increments and listen to the same track over and over again. You'll be surprised at how the sound will change.

I've found that the sound is best when (i)the 1st side wall reflecltion point closest to the speaker is a bare reflective wall, and (ii)the other 1st reflection point from the speaker on the other side of the room is diffused. Floyd Toole in his latest book says that the most significant side wall reflection that is a positive affect in creating apparent sound source width and envelopment came from 60degrees, with looking straight ahead being 0degrees and over your left (or right) shoulder as being 90degrees. You can use trigonometry to find that 60degree mark.

You might also want to toe in your speeakers so that your limited dispersion mid driver is aimed just behind your head while any excess tweeter treble sound is diffused so as to keep the energy and 'liveness' of the sound in tact.

Hope this helps . . .