Tube Watts vs. Solid State Watts - Any credence?

I've heard numerous times that Tube watts are not the same as Solid State watts when it comes to amps running speakers. For example, a 70 watt tube amp provides more power than a 140 watt solid state amp. Is there any credence to this or just sales talk and misguided listeners? If so, how could this be? One reason I ask is a lot of speakers recommend 50 - 300 watts of amplification but many stores have 35 watt tube amps or 50 watts tube amps running them. More power is usually better to run speakers, so why am I always hearing this stuff about a tube watt is greater than a solid state watt?
djfst
Mapman, while there are some solid state amps that have less of the 7th harmonic that has become the hallmark of transistor amplification, there are none that are at the low level that tube amps often demonstrate, although I think there are a few that come close.

Class D is no exception, at least not with any of the amps I have heard and own. Their artifact does seem different than the traditional transistor type; so far it seems that no-one can make an amplifier that is truly neutral.

If you really want an amplifier that is as smooth as a tube amp you are going to have to get a tube amp (its the lack of the 7th harmonic that makes them smooth). If you want to avoid that 2nd harmonic that makes tubes so lush you have to avoid amplifiers that employ single-ended circuits.
"A solid state amp that sounded identical to a tube amp? That's gold, Mapman, gold! Humor is the best medicine. ;-)"

Not to spoil your little chuckle, but that was Bob Carver who made the claim, not me. He's done a few things designing gear over the years but take it for what its worth.

I can only vouch for the fact that the amp was not irritating. Like most good quality amps, including tube amps, it sounded very good with the right speaker match. Harmonics did nt seem to be an issue.
"If you really want an amplifier that is as smooth as a tube amp you are going to have to get a tube amp (its the lack of the 7th harmonic that makes them smooth)."

I suppose so. But having heard many amps of all kinds, including both tube and SS amps in what most would regard as "reference systems" I have found a tube amp is NOT what I want and I am happy with what I have. It provides hours on end of musical enjoyment. Irritation has been a problem in the past with some amps but is not an issue with the amps I use now, which are both Class D amps by Bel Canto. The TAD Hibachis were a hit for me as well.

There are many things that go into good sound. It either works or not. If i find it works well, i am not going to worry about individual theories about what's really going wrong. When it sounds wrong or irritating, I will do something about it, but it does not.

That's just my experience. FWIW. Not that I do not like the sound of a good tube amp, but having dabbled with tubes again in recent years, its all the rest that goes along with it that I still do not want.

I might feel differently if not for having found Class D to be a better option for me.
Some 100 posts in and no one has really answered most of my questions, at least practically speaking for decision making. So I will ask again…

A practical question out of all of this is power tube choice in the same amp. Currently am running eight EL34's tubes in a primaluna HP integrated amp to Sonus Faber Olympica III speakers. The Sonus Fabers are 91db, 4 ohms, and recommended amplification of 50-300 watts.

Tube choices in the amp are as follows:

ULTRALINEAR MODE:
85 watts x 2 (KT120)
73 watts x 2 (KT88)
70 watts x 2 (EL34)

TRIODE MODE:
45 watts (KT120)
42 watts (KT88)
40 watts (EL34)

I know tubes have there own characteristics, but besides that, from a power standpoint, would it be better to go to KT120s to get more power to my speakers? Would the difference in wattage moving from EL34s to KT120s (15 watts increase in ultra linear, 5 watt increase in triode), be beneficial or even perceptible to my ears? Would this be better for the performance of the speaker, or at least the health of the speaker?
Sorry I know nothing about what tubes will work best there. Others probably will. Cheers and good luck!