Peachtree Audio Nova - No subwoofer connection

I just switched from speakers (Martin Logan Ethos) needing no subwoofer to a pair of monitors (Reference 3A MMC Serie) which have an advertised lower limit of 40-42 Hz. This is fine for most of our listening but there are occasions, like when watching movies, when additional bass would be nice. I have a Polk Audio Micropro 4000 which seems very capable but the Nova has no dedicated connection for a sub. I talked to a Peachtree technician who said the only way to connect a sub is to use a splitter at the RCA pre-out connection dividing the signal between the Peachtree 220 amp and the sub. I tried this before and, of course, the sub works fine but it changes the overall sound in a not good way.....and I'm not good at judging minor changes.

I also use the Behringer Ultracurve 2496 in the system and separating the signal this way bypasses the sub's signal from the equalizer so auto room adjustments won't include the range of frequencies that would be produced by the sub. I suppose that if there was a dedicated sub out connection the result would be no different. Because base frequencies, though, are a big part of adjustments for the purpose of room equalization, this is a problem.

Because the 2496 has an unbalanced 1/4" aux out" it crossed my mind that it could be used for a sub. The manual doesn't seem to address this and I've not found discussions about this on the Internet. I've also not been unable to establish communication with Behringer for their help.

There's a good chance that I'm off base on some of these assumptions about this all works but if anyone has suggestions that might help with this dilemma it would be much appreciated.
128x128broadstone
P.S: Subsequent to submitting the previous post, I did find an output impedance spec for the pre-outs of your Nova 80W integrated, that spec being "<30 ohms." So, again, I don't know why it wouldn't be able to drive the sub and the amp without sonic degradation.

Best regards,
-- Al
Thanks again, Al. I agree and will make those connections again. It's certainly the most straightforward approach. Also, because the subwoofer has its own room balancing capability I don't need to rely on the EQ to do that adjustment which is one of the reasons I bought this particular EQ in the first place. I'll post the results. Jim
Well, it turns out that this is the way to go, Al. I hooked up the sub using splitters at the pre-out connections on the Nova and it sounds fine. When I tried this earlier I think it was during a time that I was also having trouble with one of my interconnects. In the past I've used splitters successfully in various other applications so probably shouldn't have been so slow to accept the idea.
Good news, Jim! Thanks for the update.

Another reason you may have been hesitant to accept the idea of a splitter might be the many negative comments about them you may have seen here in the past. Although on occasion positive ones do appear.

My belief, though, from a technical standpoint and also based on having used them at times over the years, is that the adverse effects people often seem to report as a result of using them are in most cases due to the inability of the component providing the signal to simultaneously drive two sets of cables and the two specific load impedances with good results. Rather than being caused by the splitter or y-adapter itself. And/or failure to realize, in situations where a preamp output is split to drive both a power amp and a sub, that the capacitance of the cable to the sub as well as the input impedance of the sub will affect the signal seen by the power amp. To a degree that may or may not be significant depending on the specific numbers that are involved.

As I indicated earlier, though, those factors don't appear to be applicable in your specific situation.

Best regards,
-- Al
Yes, now I'll have to learn how to best adjust the sub to mate with my new speakers. I'll be starting a new thread on that subject soon.