What is your recommendation on upgrading a Linn LP

Here is what I own. A 1984-1985 Linn with BASIK PLUS ARM and no Valhalla. Other wise it is stock. What is my best course? 1) Buy a new component (Linn)and add upgrades I like. 2) Buy parts as they become available on Audiogon and build a top grade player with my old once as a starting point 3. Buy a used player that meets my needs and wishes.

I look forward to your help
schatzman
Well..I already own an epxpensive digital player that beats any of the alternatives suggested above but that means nothing in this discussion..I would rather spend half the money and get a better sounding table IMO than taking a thirty old table and try to tweek it,,been there,done that..Waste of time
I own a very late 80's Linn plinth...that's all that is left of my original table. To that I have added a Cirkus/Kore and a Radikal D power supply, a Tramp 2 base and new springs, etc. The arm is a custom WTA Black arm with VDH internal wiring. I just AB'ed this table against a new Palmer with the Origami arm, the Palmer owner easily heard why the LinnLP12/Radikal D is still one of the top tables today.
The Palmer is now going on the block for sale!!
To those who have NOT heard a current top spec LP12SE, I suggest a listen before one comments on the demise of the LP12!! As to the OP, I would suggest, depending on funds, an upgrade path of your table, one that can be best suggested by your Linn dealer.
Excellent point, Davey. Rumours of the "Death of the LP12" are greatly exaggerated... ;^)
I don't think anyone is stating"death of the lp12".Thats a bit over exaggerated to say the least..The point to the original poster is before going out and dropping lots of money he could simply buy something current which IMO will out perform what his end result would be with less money.
One thing I would say to the OP is to get the ideal support in the form of an AudioTech, Mana, or Sound Organisation table properly levelled - and not micro-rocking - on a solid composition floor (or a very rigid wall shelf with a loosely coupled spiked top board). That is one area of pandering that shouldn't be compromised.

The reason that all 3 are so good is that they were specifically designed with the LP12 in mind. Moreover the Audiotech doubles as a setup mounting jig if you are feeling DIY orientated and wish to get your hands dirty. ;^)
Useful :)

The SO is the least good of the 3 - particularly as the original ones that I had experience of were non-adjustable.