Linn sondek vs sme

I recently read a thread actually comparing a Linn sondek to SME and many saying that the Linn "outperformed" an SME.  Really?.  Are some people on LSD or is this a fair comparison as I am looking to upgrade in the near future and was planning on listening to SME.  I never thought they were in the same league.  I have been told that my modest scout beats the sondek.  How can that be true?  The thing is I have no dealers for either locally.  Only VPI and project.  I think I want to movin a different  direction than VPI.
tzh21y
The answer to your question depends on which model of SME and which version of the Linn.
The top flite LP12 Radikal D Klimax SE is at least as competitive as any SME that I have heard, and I have heard them all. ( Personally I prefer it to even the SME 30/12...but that's IMHO) The entry level MagiK LP12 will be on a par with the lower level SME's ( like the model 10 and 15)...but not really with the likes of the top level SME 30/12 or 20/12. 
If you think your Scout beats any current model LP12, well I suggest another listen, LOL.
I have never heard a Linn.  That is what the local HiFi shop told me years ago
  I recently purchased an Sme 20/2 with an SME IV.Vi arm and like it much more than the LP-12 it replaced.  Back in May I had a new Akito, Cirkus, and Trampolin put on it.  It also was running with an Origin Live DC Drive.  

Many people think the Linn sounds better to them, and they’re probably right.  We all hear differently and my joy may be the next guys disgust.  I wish my audio nirvana was a close and play.

Now that I think about it, the fellow who's buying my Linn said his father had an SME 20/2 with the SME V arm and got rid of it because he liked jazz recordings more when he had the LP-12, so now he's happy again with his Linn.
The hardcore Linn Sondek enthusiast (not to mention dealer!) is talking about a different thing than non-Linn turntable owners/users/dealers when speaking of a table's quality. Linn's whole rational and priority is in how a table "plays the tune", considering how it presents PRAT (pace, rhythm, and timing) the main criteria in the determination of a table's ability to reproducing music, rather than mere sound. Other table brands are often described first and foremost in terms of their tonal balance, bass extension and tightness, high frequency clarity, inner detail, etc. A table CAN excel in both PRAT and purely sonic regards, of course.