Linn sondek vs sme

I recently read a thread actually comparing a Linn sondek to SME and many saying that the Linn "outperformed" an SME.  Really?.  Are some people on LSD or is this a fair comparison as I am looking to upgrade in the near future and was planning on listening to SME.  I never thought they were in the same league.  I have been told that my modest scout beats the sondek.  How can that be true?  The thing is I have no dealers for either locally.  Only VPI and project.  I think I want to movin a different  direction than VPI.
tzh21y
tzh21y, I am fairly certain that the problem is not with the Benz cartridge due to its design. The problem is simply because this particular cartridge is worn out...plain and simple. What you describe has to do with either a) the diamond is worn out, or more likely b) the suspension components have worn out.
Time to replace the cartridge and stop ruining your records.
BTW, I also use a Benz on my LP12..a Ruby 2 and it has no problem with any of the things you describe. Still sounds amazing...although showing its age a tad compared to some of the hyper revealing cartridges of today.
I agree with daveyf, your cartridge is worn.  Had a Grado Ref Sonata that did the same thing.  Sent it off for a re-tip and the problem is gone. 
Actually, the Benz only has about 350 hours on it.  I had similar problems on the Benz cartridge I had before this one so I have been marking the hours.  We looked under a microscope and the klyde cartridge actually had more wear on it.  It appeared as though the Benz was in fact wearing very evenly.  So I am concerned about Benz.  Not good.  It actually sounded distorted from the very beginning.  I was thinking it was the table arm combo, wrong.  Something else.  Not happy with Benz and I will not purchase another.
If you read the thread, this is the second expert I had set up this cartridge.
Like I said before, more than likely your cartridge has a failed suspension...due to age. Just because you have 'only' 350 hours on the diamond, doesn't mean that the suspension components are not worn out or dried up. Age of the cartridge does have something to do with performance IF the suspension has issues. How old is your Benz Ref s?? When you say it sounded distorted from the beginning, then I would question the set up and particularly the VTF...too high and you could have damaged the suspension over time.  (Never mind what it has done to your records....:0( ) 
A new cartridge is definitely in order, IMO.