Interesting thought- Linn &

Been considering a Linn Radikal power supply/motor kit for my LP12. It is now powered by a late "shoe box" Lingo- old styl box but the circuit board is all SMD's.

Anyway, it occurred to me that for the price of the Radikal I could buy a VPI Prime with a tonearm. I recently heard the Prime and was very impressed with it

I really like my Linn, and have zero thoughts of disposing it. 

So so the theoretical question is Prime or Radikal? It would be great to move my LP12 up another notch and it ours be a blast to hav a 2nd TT
128x128zavato
Hello daveyf,

Thing is.. I experienced much of what he was complaining about.  I have had several turntables in my modest vintage system and by far and wide the Linn was the worst at communicating pace, pitch, power and musical presence to me.  It just never had any drive.  Comparing LP such as Miles Davis Kind of Blue on the Linn to a second generation Master Tape, the Linn isn't even on the same page.  Play that disc on my ancient modified Dual 1229 and Grace 747 tonearm and suddenly I am in the game.  The tape is better, as it should be, but the Dual does provide what I am looking for  in LP playback.  My Garrard 301 is also very good in this regard.  A close friend has a Technics Sp-10 with a SME 3012 and it is sooo much better then the Linn it's comical.  

I know those who love their LP12's and adore setting them up, and upgrading their various bits, etc.. Nothing wrong with that.  I spent nearly four times the cost of the original arm and table in upgrades.  It was so frustrating.  I just wanted to hear the music played as it should.  I didn't want to worry about what brand AC line cord I was using, or what power supply I had, or what type of belt, or what bearing etc,  I had.  I replaced all of that and it still didn't come close to my old Dual 1219 that I had prior to buying the LP12.  

When I play a solo piano or guitar piece on my Dual 1229. the sustain of the notes is thrilling, the impact of drums, and the texture of voice life like.  With the Linn they would dye off so quickly that it sounded like I was using a compressor for a preamp.

Hat's off to those who love the LP12s.  If you find that the LP12 is your cup of tea, then you should use it and enjoy.  Most LP12 owners I have met are usually thinking about, talking about or performing an upgrade.
Really?  Whatever happened to buying a table setting it up and just listening?  My Dual and Garrard don't provide me one ounce of snob appeal, but man I am telling you they do sound musical and that is what I am after.  For me, it's the music.

Norman

Norman, I think if you like your Dual TT that is a very good thing.
If it portrays the sound you are looking for, then nothing to complain about there. However, IMHO a Dual is not in the same league as even the oldest 70’s LP12 with a Nirvana power supply....unless the set up and the cartridge on the LP12 are totally shot! I know you have never heard a LP12 Radikal D Klimax or you probably wouldn’t be posting as you did.
Comparing any TT to the master tape or even the 2nd gen tape on the likes of a Studer isn’t really fair. However, I can tell you that the Miles Davis KOB 45rpm MFSL on my TT has brought jaws to the floor of all a’philes that I have had over to listen. As they say YMMV.
Post removed 
davey,

My LP12 was purchased in 1992.  I changed the top plate, the bearing housing, the trampoline was adjusted multiple times, grommets were changed, motor thrust plate changed, bearing flushed twice, two different mind blowing oils were added, then switch to Lingo direct couple power supply, Valhalla motor upgrade, second trampoline installed, top place modification, top plate replacement, Cirkus bearing upgrade.  These were just the table mods, not to mention the four different tonearms I had on the table.  

My Linn dealer was at my house so much I even purchased a Linn Table jig (which I still have.. anyone interested?)

So, I don't know and NO I can't say that I have ever hear the LP12 Radikal D Klimax, but you know what?  I really don't even want too.  My Linn experience left me completely exhausted.