Interesting thought- Linn &

Been considering a Linn Radikal power supply/motor kit for my LP12. It is now powered by a late "shoe box" Lingo- old styl box but the circuit board is all SMD's.

Anyway, it occurred to me that for the price of the Radikal I could buy a VPI Prime with a tonearm. I recently heard the Prime and was very impressed with it

I really like my Linn, and have zero thoughts of disposing it. 

So so the theoretical question is Prime or Radikal? It would be great to move my LP12 up another notch and it ours be a blast to hav a 2nd TT
128x128zavato
melm,

I completely agree with you.  I listen to live music often and that is my benchmark.  I mentioned the second generation master tape as something that anyone with a quality open reel deck could enjoy and compare their analog rig too.

My Linn sounded soft, and very warm.  I also felt it sounded compressed compared to my idler drive tables and a couple of direct drive tables I've heard.  

My personal experience concludes that it is very difficult to get the table to sing. My purchase and upgrade path was nearly 10 years long.  Nothing should take that long to sound right or be that difficult to dial in.

It could also be a simple matter of the fact that I don't like the sound of a Linn.  No biggie.  I know a number of audio nuts that don't care for the sound of idler drive tables and thats fine too. 

daveyf,

I am in the City this weekend and will see if I can listen to the latest Linn mods.  I might be surprised.

N.

varyat, +1.

melm, I would know this because I have heard the top of the line VPI and I have heard a well sorted Studer. Playing the same piece, the Studer left the VPI in the dust.
If you really think a VPI can compete on the same stage as a Studer playing a master tape, well all I can say is I very very seriously doubt you have ever heard a top flite tape deck!
Just to add..
There is something about a record player looking like, well, a record player! The LP12 is compact , doesn't require a lot of space and doesn't weigh a ton. Nice and simple..plays the record.
Some of these newer decks require an aircraft carrier to land on and weigh a hundred pounds ( or more ! ). The KISS rule has served me well in life for most things. Just something that came to mind...have a great New Years guys!
ATB,
Mark
I've followed how this thread became a Linn vs the rest of the world thread. That said, were I starting from scratch in vinyl and would sink $10,000 plus into a vinyl front end, I would consider the Linn once again. But it would not be the only thing on my radar. I'm deeply impressed by SME these days. AMG as well. 

Heres as his I look at it- a top spec LP12 has to run about $20,000. In that price range the Linn is, I believe, competitive but it's not the only game in town. 

I too try to live by the KISS method, but easier said than done! But one thing Linn nailed in the KISS universe is the three point cartridge mounting scheme. 

Well folks, welcome to 2016. Let our biggest angst be disputes over the relative merits of the LP12 and whatever else.