Why would anyone want 180g records ?

Do they have any advantages, theoretically speaking? And practically speaking, besides the requirement to adjust VTA ?
inna
I agree with your skepticism Jeff. Even if true, the vinyl only needs to outlast me.  

jeffdill2, don't know where you read that 180g vinyl lasts longer because of the additional thickness, but that's not how it works.

If you pressed a 100g LP and a 180g LP using the same pressing mold, they both have the same groove indentations(modulations). The difference is the amount (thickness) of vinyl between the groove modulations on either side of the LP. And if you use the same turntable/tonearm/cartridge to play both LPs, the grooves will wear down at the same rate. There isn't more groove to wear down with heavy vinyl.

In my opinion the only real advantage to heavy vinyl is the somewhat better chance of having a flatter record. That's IF the pressing process is done correctly. Unfortunately, I've run into more problems with non-fill with heavy vinyl records so for me the advantages/disadvantages of  heavy vinyl is a wash. I wish the industry would just provide standard weight LPs for most everything and if perfectionists want heavy vinyl releases, they can pay for the additional cost of doing so.

Regards,

Tom

As others have noted, the key to high quality LPs is not the weight of the vinyl in and of itself.  I have 120g records that sound simply marvelous. I have 140g records that are to die for. I have 180g records that are stunning. I have 200g records that are great. Basically, one can achieve marvelous sound with any of these weight records. The key is the quality of the vinyl, the excellence of the source and cutting engineer, and all of the critical steps that go into cutting, plating and pressing. 

At the same time, I'm very inclined to believe that in identically controlled quality of manufacturing, one can demonstrate a sonic improvement using a heavier weight of vinyl (e.g., 180g vs. 140g) due simply to the bit of mass loading provided. If my recollection serves me, Michael Hobson made this experiment during the early days of establishing Classic Records and demonstrated it at a meeting of the LA Audio Society. He also reported demonstrated a sonic improvement with his one-sided pressings vs. two-sided. Perhaps someone on the board has a link to the article I'm recalling?