Silverline Speaker Opinion

Awhile back I traded for some original Silverline Menuets. It's the smallest speaker I've owned. 

After putting them in a bedroom system without a sub, I'm really enjoying them. I find myself reading and listening more opposed to watching TV in bed.

For those of you familiar with Silverline, is the Minuet similar to the rest of the Silverline lineup, or just special?

Also, what other speakers are a dead ringer for my tastes if I like the Minuet sound? I'd like to explore other options as I'm starting to understand my preferred sound. Maybe duplicate the experience in my main system. I currently use Usher floorstanders in a 15x18' room, and am happy - but curious.

I'd appreciate your opinions.

Thanks,
gary

uncledemp
The current "non plus" Prelude is an amazing speaker when paired with a good sub. I've had a pair for years and it's somewhat unique in the Silverline line (!) in that it has magnesium/aluminum woofers and tweeters, not shared with other Silverlines for reasons I find mysterious. The "Plus" has doped paper woofers with a silk dome tweeter which are fine (and I'm sure they sound great as do pretty much all the things Alan Yun designs), but the Prelude has the little screens on the metal tweeters that keep 'em "poke proofed," a feature I like. I use a tube amp and 2 REL subs (although they worked fine with one sub, I found another used REL and added it in the mix, thus making my "one sub" arguments less valid) with the Preludes, and lift them up about 4 inches on maple blocks (Vibrapods under the Preludes de-couple them from floor vibes and make them sound even better to my earballs) . My only quibble about the Preludes is the fact that they aren't cladded in a real wood veneer, but I suppose that keeps them at a certain price point. Maybe I'll get a cabinet maker to put a striped ebony veneer on 'em. Yun told me in a phone conversation (I thought I needed a woofer, but didn't) to single wire the Preludes for "more coherency"…his words…and he was right (I did try bi-wiring anyway, at which point I discovered for myself that single wiring was much righter).
Gary,Wolf - I had definitely read Wolf's posts about his experience with the Prelude speaker.  I haven't tried Vibrapods under mine but do have them elevated about 4" (on a wood plinth + the height of Alan's spikes).  Found elevation to be good with the Forests too.  My Pluses are also single-wired and, based on input from Silverline, the speaker cable is connected to the lower posts.  I'll probably experiment with a diagonal connection as per Audioquest in the future.  

Gary - 6 feet into the room should give plenty of space behind them for projecting stage depth.  BUT if you do go with Preludes I wonder if a little nearer that "front" wall will help with bass given they are rear ported.  Obviously, rooms differ and experimentation is needed.

Wolf - what REL subs are you running?  Thanks.  
Speaking of subs, I decided to try a dual 8" driver sub with the Minuets today. Sounds pretty good but I'm still adjusting things. 

Before inserting the sub a buddy came by and after listening told me he had to have a pair of Minuets- he was impressed.

Thanks again for for all of your feedback, opinions, etc. Gives me several speakers to look out for and several things to try. I always learn a lot on A'gon.

I always enjoyed the Silverline demos at shows.  One year, I heard, and fell in love with, the original Bolero.  Delicate, detailed highs to die for when paired with Yun's own tube amp.  They were my dream speaker for many years (and would still be incontention if I had the coin).

I also heard the Minuets and Preludes at a show and was highly impressed.  They both sounded much bigger than they are, with impressive bass weight and extension, and an amazing, holographic soundstage, and that was when they were paired with a cheap Philips stereo receiver (from the 80s?).

About five years ago, when I was looking to upgrade, I looked into Silverline.  I am on the East Coast, so a visit to Silverline for a demo would use up most of my budget.  The only local dealer seemed to be a guy operating out of his home.  He eventually responded to my emails and phone calls, only to tell me that he did not have the model I was interested in hearing (the now discontinued Allegro[?], I think).  No way I was going to buy speakers unheard, with no return option, so I moved on.

That said, if someone asked me for a short list of high-value inexpensive monitors or towers, I would include both the Minuet and the Prelude on that list.

I bought a beautiful used (Ebay) REL Q150e a few years ago (around the time I bought the Preludes) and it's all the sub most people might need…modded with a "chicken head" knob on the High Level pot so it's easier to know where it (the pot) is. The second sub is a Q108e MKII that isn't quite as powerful as the 150, but is still amazingly good...I put a chicken head knob on that one too. Both were bought for around 200 bucks each on Ebay, which I mention as I don't want my fabulous taste and Ebay scouring abilities to go unnoticed.