Going to rip 2000 cds. Which software?

At 63 years old I've decided it's finally time to make the move to a digital library.  I've spent hours and hours on this forum reading about servers, streamers, music servers, nas systems and modded Mac Minis.  I'm more than confused.  I'm pretty much ready to just buy a new transport and be done with it. 

But.... I play "cuts."  I hardly ever play an entire record or cd and would like the ability to choose what's playing from the couch.

I know that the first step is ripping cds.  I have a couple of questions;

1.  Which software should I use?  I am concerned about speed and indexing.  I'm a jazzhead and have quite a few recordings by the same artists that have recorded multiple versions of the same tune.  I want to make sure they are indexed properly.  I would also like a program that doesn't take all day to make a copy.

2.  I can use either Mac or PC.  I would prefer Mac but would use a PC if it is more future proof.  I have a Macbook Air and a PC laptop and both have dual 2 terrabyte external drives.

3. I would also consider a Music Server with a nas rig.

If I do a music server with nas I'd like to keep the price around $2000.

Thanks to all of you.

--Bob

jzzmusician
Update:

I've begun ripping my cds.  I'm using a MacBook Air with an Apple Superdrive and an external hard drive both attached via USB.  I am using iTunes as the software.

Settings are AIFF with error correction on.

My first couple of cds ripped at about 18-20x.  All subsequent cds dropped to about 5-8x.  No idea why.

My cds are all mint.  No visible scratches or dust. 

I'm ready to give dbpoweramp a try.  Does anyone know if it manages files as well as iTunes?

Thanks in advance,

Bob
That speed change. It's why I think it is good to cold boot from time to time. I have no technical explanation for this. Except I could regain ripping speed by cold-booting. I used Superdrive as well. My rips using XLD start slow on each track, usually 1X,2X. Then they speed up to 2X, 4X, etc. For me, 8X isn't bad.

I use AIFF as well. Disk space is cheap and it's compatible with both iTunes and other software that isn't compatible with ALAC. (FLAC is my first choice but it's not compatible with Apple.)
I have no experience with dbPoweramp so I can't advise. 

There's a nifty piece of software, Tag Editor, you will probably find handy at some point. http://www.amvidia.com/tag-editor
I use Google Images to find the album art that iTunes can't.

Finally, echoing what someone else wrote, when I'm ripping I'm listening. I set a goal of 5-10 CDs at a time and have a nice listening session while I'm at it. My guess is that there's plenty of hidden treasures in your library that your ripping project will help you rediscover.

The easiest is to send the CDs to a CD ripping service. The best service, in terms of quality and service is: ReadyToPlay. Here is their link: http://readytoplay.com/
It's $1.30 per cd or less if you have more CDs. I have no links with them other than being a happy customer. They will make sure that all metadata is transferred correctly with pictures et all. And the sound quality is the best. The use dBPoweramp software for ripping and use audiophile recommended Plextor CD rippers with dedicated PCs. I've found that the music from ReadyToPlay rips sounding better than my own rips using my own dBpoweramp on my desktop PCs. FWIW.
Bob,
Please stop ripping with iTunes and download and try the free XLD app on your mac as recommended by a number of people above.

There are a couple of reasons why:
1) XLD guarantees bitperfect rips and reports if there are any errors. So you can change settings to rip more quickly and adjust to slower reading only when you are dealing with a scratched up disc. As long as you get "No errors reported" you're good to go. It's free for mac and if you read computeraudiophile forums so you see that it is proven and preferred for a majority of mac users.
2) iTunes treats album art differently than almost every other playback program. The problem is that since it doesn't imbed art in every track, if you choose later to use your ripped library with other software(let's table the discussion about software/streamer/platform for now) art won't necessarily be visible, creating lots of metatags editing work for you. Ripping with XLD will eliminate the issue.

Trust me on this. I am a former iTunes user who lived through the pain described on hundreds of albums ripped using iTunes years ago. Changing to XLD now will save you tons of time and mental energy down the road regardless of which hardware and playback platform you move to in the future. 
Note that all the iTunes recommendations above seem to be of the flavor: "I do this" not "Here's why iTunes is best for you to use". 

FWIW, about the ripping seeming daunting, I suggest not thinking of it as a race to complete. While watching sports or tv I will rip CDs during commercials etc. It only takes a few seconds of attention. Do a few a night, starting with your favs and it won't be such a chore. Cheers,
Spencer