What do you miss about old school hip hop music and why?

I miss the lyricism and creativity

calvinj
calvinj, at first I was wishing you had listed fewer tracks but now I'm glad you went beyond three. I've listened to the first five. Didn't care for the first one much at all.  Second one (if I have this right) had an interesting backing but it sounded like a loop which I didn't care for (reminded me of Philip Glass, not in a good way).  Jay Z was way more interesting, getting more in the direction I was hoping to go.  Will have to give that more listens to see if it really grabs me or not.  But #4 and #5 had me grooving, esp. Will Smith.  That must have been a big hit but somehow it was under my radar whenever it was released.  Summertime has some great stuff going on and it a great groove, looking forward to giving it another spin.  Definitely want to hear Doug E. again, too.  Unfortunately it's been a busy week but I did get the one session two nights ago.  Listened to each of the first five all the way through, one time, undistracted, with decent phones (AKG 701Q through a tube amp).  More later, and thanks again.

I did that to narrow it down.  

Try 15, 16, 18, 19.  Probably more of your style