Universal Players vs. Dedicated CD/SACD Players

Greetings all. I'm curious what other's experiences are listening to Universal Players vs. "dedicated" cd/sacd players. I have an Oppo BDP95 based on the reviews and convenience of the "one-box" solution. However, I've been wondering if I'm missing some audio performance this way. I'm more into sound than video BTW. I have an audiophile friend who says he doesn't like audio and video in the same box. I've entertained thoughts of purchasing a dedicated audio cd/sacd player. Your input is appreciated.

128x128beernut
Agree the new X series looks sweet, but the K-05 that are listed now are at very reasonable price. It may be worth the time compare them, it's a shame that Esoteric does not allow an upgrade path for existing owners. 
Quote:

"....
12-17-2015 12:02pm
In my experience, dedicated CD players have better redbook performance than similarly, or even somewhat more expensive multi-format players..."

"....initforthemusic
17 posts
01-29-2016 8:05am
No contest. A quality dedicated CD player will annihilate the Oppo/Cambridge universal players on redbook playback...."

+1

I have the ARCAM FMJ Blu-Ray player for multichannel (movies and audio)
I have the REGA ISIS Valce cdp for 2-channel.

Verdict: As good as the ARCAM is, the performance superiority of the REGA for 2-channel red book cd audio is  not even close: the differences  are not subtle.

Much Thanks!  68 Pete.

I want to say that there are the X-01 and X-03/03SE players. Am I missing any others?

TY- maxboy00.

I concur w/ akg_ca on the dedicated CD or SACD player.

Anytime we choose a universal spinner, something has to give up in order to capture all of the proposed formats.

I use a Pioneer Elite 59-AVi for DVD duty only and it is a killer.

I would further break down Blu-Ray playback as well.

I have been a fan of any CD or Universal player that has an output for an external DAC.
I don't play SACDs, just CDs. I have found that every couple of years the DACs get better, and as such the CDs sound better. So I guess I like the idea of swapping an external DAC or even swapping a board in a DAC to make the CDs sound better. Much like the Schiit Bifrost upgrades offered. When I added a Benchmark DAC to my older Sony CD player it was a big improvement in sound. Of course I try to get a spinner with the best transport and optical playback I can afford.