Best Standard Def DVD Player under $8,000 used?

I am looking for the best possible Standard Def DVD player
that is BLACK. I have a Krell DVD Showcase now and it's
great but I am wondering if there is better to be had for
under $8,000 used.

I would like to hear opinions/comparisons of the video
quality for:

Krell DVD Standard
Linn Unidisk 1.1
Meridian G98
Denon 5910CI

Thanks
Tom
tom92602
...a note to Kennyt........I agree with you on the XA2... I owned the Panasonic XA2 player. The first time I fired it up on a standard def disc, my jaw dropped...just a gorgeous picture. The Reon chip in there is really something special when it comes to upconverting stadard def discs. When the supposedly more advance Realta chip came out, I had to see what the fuss was all about. So I purchased the Marantz BD 8002 Blu Ray player. The standard def upconversion is even better than the XA2, and of course the Blu Ray picture is stunning. So, for about $250., you can get a killer standard def picture by finding a used Panasonic XA2 player.

I paid $2k for the Marantz.....but $8k seems outlandish for a standard def unit when the two aforementioned units are readily available.
If you are really looking for absolute highest quality audio & video, then I would buy a Pioneer Elite Blu-ray player model BDP-09FD est. $1,900.00 (or less) and ship it to Reference Audio Mods for overhaul..I did this with my Denon DVD-5910CI and it came back with both "killer" audio and video. I had RAM perform the audio mods on the front 3 channels (L/C/R) of my Denon in lieu of only L & R. Audiophile quality at very reasonable prices...

with your budget you could also add a new Faroudja DVP-1080 video processor (or equivalent..see High-End Palace website)...This world class processor upscales up to 1080p reference progressive format though DVI/HDMI with HDCP and analog component though five high quality BNC connectors with Horizontal and Vertical alignment. The DVP-1080 converts DVD's, HD programming, HD DVD's and Blu-Ray to reference caliber progressive format.

The Faroudja DVP-1080 HD provides a realism, vividness, contrast, brightness, sharpness and detail, improves color saturation and overall picture quality by 15 to 25%. It also provides accurate pixel count to all high-end projectors, plasmas and LCD displays, All DVD's, HD programming, HD DVD's and Blu-Ray Disc benefits drastically from a DVP-1080. This high-end processor is what we call a world class processor, an out of this world improvement for all high-end DLP's, LCOS's, SXRD's, D-ILA's, CRT projectors, Plasmas and LCD displays, the processor for perfectionist. Get a true film like experience in your theater today.

I am now looking for a fair deal on a Pioneer Elite Blu-ray player model BDP-09FD....the best (both audio & video) Blu-ray unit to date..bar none...NEXT purchase after that will be above video processor or equivalent....
Yes, we are all avoiding your question Tom. We are simply stunned by your purchasing proposition. You'll have to forgive us. But it's no fun to delve into your question. We'd rather ridicule and chastise your for your viewpoints - lol.
Yep, as Skippy said, we are all contemplating the merits of $300 Blue Ray players now-a-days!
Actually I didn't even know you could still pay more than $300 for a standard DVD player at this point! Maybe $8k is a typo from Tom...he probably meant $8. Yes I'm sure it was a typo
Tom, they aren't trying to bash you but save you big cash! Just because it's more doesn't make it better. I have two rolex watches and a Patek any my digital casio keeps better time when left without wearing. Bluray not only is BETTER in sound and video but is the future. You aren't the only guy with high end audio gear and a big dvd collection. Why continue on a dead end path when you could start buying the future and improve as better machines become available. BTW, complaining that BR disks are expensive while asking about an $8000 USED SDVD player is nearly the worst comment ever on the forums. MHO of course.
Tom, my apologies. You are right and the Denon 5910CI is an awesome universal DVD player. I own it and it's is simply the best there is. Absolutely incredible in my HT. Blu-Ray Shmu-Ray - it's slow and the discs are not cheap. Remember when everyone went from LPs to CD, tubes to SS, mono to stereo to multi-channel. Now they are all back to the tried and true technologies/topologies.

So yeah, like I said earlier. I will sell you my used Denon 5910CI for only $7000 - a $1000 savings for you! It is black and will be in the original box. I will throw in a good cable with it at no extra charge, too.

Don't listen to these guys, they are all leaping without looking where they will land. They will be sorry in 20 or 30 years. DVD we know and love: it works and works great with the right system and my Denon is the best, really, THE BEST.

Please PM me ASAP and let's get this deal wrapped up. When were done, come on over to my place and we'll watch home movies on my Super8 setup. If only DVDs could look this good!

Best,

Dan