Questionable service at Soundsmith

I sent my Benz Micro for a re-tipping.  After they received my cartridge I get an email on how to check status of the job.  Their website tells you retipping takes 8 - 14 weeks.  Well that came and went, I did not hear anything.  I checked the status now and then, nada.  I started to worry because it's been about a year now.  Finally, I decided to give them a call and find out what is going on.  In my mind, I'm thinking, have they lost my cartridge?  Did they misplace it?  What?  I couldn't get through, goes straight to voicemail every time.  So I decided to email an address I got from their website to ask for help.  I got a response that it will be done soon, they are really back logged.  An hour later, I get another email from another person saying it was done and ready to ship.  What?!  Did they just do a rush job on my cartridge?  Because I started to complain?  That they've had my cartridge laying around for about a year!  And here's the kicker, please pay $450 for the retipping.  Nice.  
rviloria
Post removed 
SS backlog may be an unintended consequence of the vinyl resurgence.  More people are turning back to vinyl, picking up old cartridges on Ebay etc, and looking for rebuild options.  Mr. L's personal issues would (and should) take priority.  He is essentially a victim of his own success.  Kicking myself now for not sending in a cartridge 2yrs ago.....

@iopsrl, I think you’re correct. Several positive experiences with retipped vintage cartridges has convinced me that in most cases the suspension outlives the stylus. This makes retipping attractive and worthwhile, particularly in view of the upward spiral in prices for top new-production cartridges.

My only quibble with SS(and it’s a minor one) is that the work doesn’t appear to be done on a first-in, first-out basis. While waiting for mine for over a year I have periodically read satisfied posters report that their work was done in as little as several weeks. Of course SS can run their business model however they like, and I don’t question the quality of their work. In the small world of cartridge rebuilders Peter is a committed artisan.

A few years ago I had a cartridge retyped by Soundsmith, it took 8 months. From my forums reading, I expected a long wait but 8 months without an email or phone call, really.
While I have not yet used the services of Peter at Soundsmith, I am 100% inclined to do so after reading this thread. Custom artisan work should be valued by people as it entails rare skills and a dedication to both the work and the pleasure of a customer when they enjoy the final result. There are complications with everything, and your return on an investment varies widely. Peter sounds like the kind of person I would enjoy more than a business transaction with. Peter sounds like a real person, a rare person ...witness the thread.