Simple advice you should have, but didn't follow that made a big difference.

For me, it was when I read on some thread recently that, aside from leaving your components on 24/7, the Marantz SACD player takes about a good 3 days to come into it's own. Now that I'm retired and not afraid of something going amiss when away at work, I leave everything on.

I didn't notice much of a difference until a few days or so and my system began to really sing. Yes, I adjusted my speakers to fire directly at my ears (which I've never done due to the harshness) but something more happened and continues to. There's simply more there, there. The sound goes all the way back in a most developed fashion. It seems to extract lots more info but not hype or etch. It just kind of seems more live.

Who would have thought? This one I should have had down pat but I didn't.
What have you looked over that you shouldn't have?

All the best,
Nonoise
128x128nonoise
Don't put your components between the speakers. I was stunned at the improvement in soundstage.
Don't put your components between the speakers. I was stunned at the improvement in soundstage.

Surprising how many people still do. Yes clearing that area can make a dramatic improvement. Including all opposing sides around speakers. Don't box them in, leave them adequate room to "breath". 
Only speakers and room treatment devices occupy the front wall (behind speakers) in my dedicated room.  Rack is to my side at listening position.