Tonearm mount on the plinth or on Pillar ?

Folks,
I am looking to buy a custom built turntable from Torqueo Audio (http://www.torqueo-audio.it/). They have two models, one with a wide base plinth where the tonearm would be mounted on the plinth (as usual) and the second is a compact plinth where they provide a seperate tonearm pillar to mount the tonearm. According to them the separate tonearm pillar version sounds more transparent and quieter because of the isolation of the tonearm from the TT. My concern is whether seperating the tonearm from the plinth would result in a lesser coherence in sound ? Isnt sharing the same platform results in a more well-timed, coherent presentation ? Any opinions ?
pani
Moonglum, It's the tonearm bearing that must be firmly coupled to the turntable bearing. Yes, some tonearm bearings have more or less "play" with respect to the arm wand/headshell/cartridge, but at least there should be no wiggle room between the tonearm mount which embraces its pivot and the platter bearing.  Pardon me if I misquoted you, but is there a real difference between resonating "differently" vs "separately"?  Anyway, my opinions on this issue are well known; no point repeating myself.  Others can think differently, and I am sure that the earth will remain in orbit regardless.
In a typical cutting lathe is the cutting arm mounted on the same plinth as the platter or is it on a platform ?

Glad no one took my last comment about T/T designers seriously ;^)

I was joking of course. I actually have the highest respect for what they're trying to do. It's an unenviable task and by doing it they're only going to please some of the people some of the time.

No problem, Lew. I agree the Earth isn't going to disintegrate due to the nuances of definition of 2 words. Since you did ask, "separately", to me, means without touching while "differently" means they can be touching. That's all.

Yeah, the main causes of wiggle room that I can see are the main bearing and tonearm bearing/s unless you're referring to flexure in the chassis & armboard(?)

But the point I was making is that it's the overlapping contact area of those bearings that would determine how effectively the 2 are locked together i.e. from a damping perspective. Since you are relying mainly on those bearings to commute/handle vibration it can never be an effective way to damp the tonearm. By nature, the bearings must try to be as zero contact as possible rather than act like a 6" nail through 2 pieces of wood.

Seems to me it's a classic "Catch 22" situation?

....I should qualify the above statement, "never an effective way", that is unless you pour silicone damping fluid into your tonearm bearing as I do in which case you have a "mildly effective" option ;^)
pani
In a typical cutting lathe is the cutting arm mounted on the same plinth as the platter or is it on a platform ?

here is a pic
http://www.sonicscoop.com/site/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/stocklathe.jpg

Pani
fwiw. I still do own three tables but only use one. Two of the three tables Verdier La Platine (main) and my DIY SP10 MKII (up to version 8?) from years ago have pillars/pods for the tonearm which is bolted into the plinth. The Platter structure is bolted into this same plinth. The Brass Pod on my SP10MKII is very heavy its not going anywhere but it was very easy to shoot a bolt in from the bottom, and I use only one tonearm with it so I bolted it in.

https://goo.gl/photos/1tpMKeEahAdXFEN38

The third table is a Jean Nantais table. I don’t know how familiar you are with his designs.

http://www.idler-wheel-drive.com/

Going back if I recall, Jean is very much in favor of a very rigid coupling. But even he recognizes the problems with bolting a tonearm to a plinth that is shared with a spinning platter/bearing/motor. All his designs have "voids" where the tonearm is mounted to lessen the effect of the plinth itself. This void extends down through the whole 100 lb plinth on mine. I think the plinth would weigh quite a bit more if the two voids for two tonearms were filled in.

Raul - you misunderstood the intent/purpose of the youtube video that my 16 year old son budding audiophile at the time took. He is now 21 - where does time go? This was an experiment/ a test during an Audiophile Phase. I indicated that this tonearm/cart/ in the traditional setup the sound was terrible; but the armpod setup with the roller block jrs. significantly changed resonances/vibrations (which vinyl play is all about) for the better.
The focus was the symposium roller block jrs. on an armpod; and the technics table has only a skeleton plinth. Not sure how you came up with a stock plinth ?

Pryso - I think at this point I am willing to put up with some earthquake shakes if it meant good year round weather. Can you imagine that armpod on the roller block jrs. if not being used moving back and forth, during a quake - like the buildings themselves.

moonglum

great vid. It could be planted on many audiophile forum threads. :^)
I use oil in the bolt threads of the pods before the bolt is inserted.

Cheers