? about oppo

what is all the hype about, are they really that good? and if so , why would anybody buy a thousand dollar player? has anyone used one with powered speakers? if so , which ones? thanks doing research on a small system to do video and music in a 10 by 10 room...
dwhitt
I got in on the group buy with Doug at ASi-Tek for the full mods. We had a great conversation and I decided to give it a try. I'm looking forward to meeting with him at akfest and checking out some of his new gear.

He is working on mods for silverline speaker crossovers,of which I own the 17.5 monitors,and if all goes well with the 983 I will get my crossovers done.

After I get the 983 I will post my thoughts in a new thread.
Go Oppo! I currently have a Oppo 981,it replaced an Elite 47ai which replaced a Sony Es,the oppo outperforms both......easily and obviously.I do wish the 981 had 7.1 output,the 983 does.Oppo is the way.
I have replaced 2500 dollar Denon Top Picture rated players with Oppos.. yes they are that good in video.. The new ones are even better in audio!
TIC said:

"Later on, if you decide you want to upgrade the sound quality you are getting, send the Oppo off to Ric Shultz at EVS and have it mod'd. IMHO the sound quality will be at least as good as any sub $1000 dedicated CD player (mabe even a lot better) plus it will play DVD, SACD, DVD-A, HDCD."

I couldn't agree more about Ric Schultz. Ric modified my Pioneer Elite DV-58AV universal player with a Superclock 4 and beefed up input and output stages, along with some damping and other mods. It's spectacular.

I'm going to talk to Ric soon about upgrading one of my Oppos to 32-bit upconversion. Done right, and that's critical, it could elevate the Oppo right next to the $10000 upsampling Emm CDPs. Ric doesn't just throw parts in and hope they work, instead he really listens and, true to his name, tweaks them for all they're capable of.

Dave